Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Efficient digital recording: your advice?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      Hi, Renata!

      Nice to hear from you!

      The first idea that came to mind is Audacity. Will you be using computers
      for the interviews?

      To show you what I mean by my question, take a look at two end-of-year voice
      chats that my 6th graders carried on with Aiden and Agata. The sound is
      fabulous and it's as easy as ABC to record!
      http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/school/fwe5-jun05.htm#21Jun05

      You can also take a look at a very simple Audacity tutorial I prepared.
      http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/school/fwe5-jun05.htm#23Jun05

      It's time and effort efficient, but I have no experience with large volumes.
      I guess that Christine Bauer-Ramazani can help you on that and much more.She
      has a lot of experience with Audacity.

      Hope this may help. Good luck

      Teresa

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hi Renata,

        My students use their MP3s when recording their speeches. MP3 file is downloadable and could also be copied on CDs. You could edit the digital version using adobe audition or audacity.

        I hope this helps.

        aiden

        Renata Chylinski <Renata.Chylinski@...> wrote:
        Apologies for cross-posting:

        Dear Webheads,

        I am seeking your advice regarding digital recording of student interviews. This is my institution's wishlist:
        - interviews can take place in any room
        - file size should be as small as possible
        - students shoud be able to get a copy of the file on a CD or downloadable from the web
        - the whole process should be as time/effort-efficient as possible as we are dealing with large numbers of students.

        Would any of you have experience with a similar process and share with me/us their experiences?
        What equipment have you used/can be used?
        Can this procedure be applied to large "volumes" efficiently?

        Thanks a bunch

        Renata

      • Eric Baber
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
          Hi Renata,

          I'd suggest one of any number of MP3 players (or an iPod if you've got one,
          or a similar device) with built-in microphones and recording facility. They
          allow you to store recordings onto whatever storage device it uses (some use
          memory sticks, some Flash cards, some Secure Digital cards), in MP3 format,
          which is useful both for burning onto CD, transferring onto the student's
          MP3 player or for putting on your website for the students to download
          whenever they like. Once you've got all your recordings on the MP3 player
          you can connect it to a PC and transfer all the recordings onto that, then
          clear the storage device again if you like.

          Hope that helps!

          Eric