Efficient digital recording: your advice?

  • Renata Chylinski
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 5:08 PM
      Apologies for cross-posting:

      Dear Webheads,

      I am seeking your advice regarding digital recording of student interviews. This is my institution's wishlist:
      - interviews can take place in any room
      - file size should be as small as possible
      - students shoud be able to get a copy of the file on a CD or downloadable from the web
      - the whole process should be as time/effort-efficient as possible as we are dealing with large numbers of students.

      Would any of you have experience with a similar process and share with me/us their experiences?
      What equipment have you used/can be used?
      Can this procedure be applied to large "volumes" efficiently?

      Thanks a bunch

      Renata
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3 5:48 PM
        Hi, Renata!

        Nice to hear from you!

        The first idea that came to mind is Audacity. Will you be using computers
        for the interviews?

        To show you what I mean by my question, take a look at two end-of-year voice
        chats that my 6th graders carried on with Aiden and Agata. The sound is
        fabulous and it's as easy as ABC to record!
        http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/school/fwe5-jun05.htm#21Jun05

        You can also take a look at a very simple Audacity tutorial I prepared.
        http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/school/fwe5-jun05.htm#23Jun05

        It's time and effort efficient, but I have no experience with large volumes.
        I guess that Christine Bauer-Ramazani can help you on that and much more.She
        has a lot of experience with Audacity.

        Hope this may help. Good luck

        Teresa

        > I am seeking your advice regarding digital recording of student
        > interviews. This is my institution's wishlist:
        > - interviews can take place in any room
        > - file size should be as small as possible
        > - students shoud be able to get a copy of the file on a CD or downloadable
        > from the web
        > - the whole process should be as time/effort-efficient as possible as we
        > are dealing with large numbers of students.
        >
        > Would any of you have experience with a similar process and share with
        > me/us their experiences?
        > What equipment have you used/can be used?
        > Can this procedure be applied to large "volumes" efficiently?
        >
        > Thanks a bunch
        >
        > Renata
        >

        > For more information:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 7:35 PM
          Hi Renata,

          My students use their MP3s when recording their speeches. MP3 file is downloadable and could also be copied on CDs. You could edit the digital version using adobe audition or audacity.

          I hope this helps.

          aiden

          Renata Chylinski <Renata.Chylinski@...> wrote:
          Apologies for cross-posting:

          Dear Webheads,

          I am seeking your advice regarding digital recording of student interviews. This is my institution's wishlist:
          - interviews can take place in any room
          - file size should be as small as possible
          - students shoud be able to get a copy of the file on a CD or downloadable from the web
          - the whole process should be as time/effort-efficient as possible as we are dealing with large numbers of students.

          Would any of you have experience with a similar process and share with me/us their experiences?
          What equipment have you used/can be used?
          Can this procedure be applied to large "volumes" efficiently?

          Thanks a bunch

          Renata

        • Eric Baber
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4 12:24 AM
            Hi Renata,

            I'd suggest one of any number of MP3 players (or an iPod if you've got one,
            or a similar device) with built-in microphones and recording facility. They
            allow you to store recordings onto whatever storage device it uses (some use
            memory sticks, some Flash cards, some Secure Digital cards), in MP3 format,
            which is useful both for burning onto CD, transferring onto the student's
            MP3 player or for putting on your website for the students to download
            whenever they like. Once you've got all your recordings on the MP3 player
            you can connect it to a PC and transfer all the recordings onto that, then
            clear the storage device again if you like.

            Hope that helps!

            Eric