Re: [evonline2002_webheads] genre analysis or discourse analysis, please help!

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 3, 2005
      Dear Soraya,

      Nice to hear from you :-)

      Regarding what research methodology to use, well, your study sounds like a case study. For the analysis of the data derived from the 30 chat sessions I analyzed as part of my dissertation, I used Markee's "Conversation Analysis" (Markee, N. (2000). Conversation Analysis. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associate Publishers). My claim was based on the importance of negotiation of meaning in promoting communcative competence, so I analyzed the different negotiation of meanings that took place in those chat sessions (Markee states that there are 4 levels of negotiations). I also analyzed other aspects of discourse analysis (turn taking, the use of paralinguistics signals, the structure and sequence of the interaction, and the control of power). As you can see I did not assess improvement, but I described the chatlogs and finally, with the analysis, I discussed the contributions of the use of chat to the field of foreigh langugage acquisition.

      I used different assessment instruments for the various tasks the students had to complete as part of the course. I can share with you a table with all the instruments I used for assessment and the techniques used to analyze the information (data) gathered (it is in Spanish, though).

      Hope this helps,

      Daf

      soraya halfaoui <alysea22@...> wrote:
      Hi Dafné !
      How are you. Hope everything is ok with life and studies! sorry for not being so active as i would like it to be
      i have some difficulties concerning my project concerning the methodological part of the work ( the initial theme is the role of SCMC in the enhancement of the communicative abilities of EFL learners at the university level) : the study will be conducted alog almost 2 terms( +/-5months)chat sessions will be organized in two steps: the first term will be devoted to pure discussions, and the second term to task-based ones. the aim behind is to see which chat activity is more conducive to the enhancement of the communicative skills.the first problem that i face is how should i analyse the chat transcripts, which methodology to adopt? the second problem is how to assess the improvement in such a context? will the improvement be imperatively apparent in the classroom context or... i'm completely lost and have o clue, that's why i'm turning to you to have some insights.

      please help we to find my way.any suggestion will be welcomed. thanks in advance.

      sincerly,

      soraya (ALYSEA)

      Dafne <dygonza@...> a écrit :
      Dear Evelyn,

      I have been teaching blended courses at graduate and undergraduate level since 2002, after I joined WIA. My Ph.D dissertation was about e-course design and evaluation; namely, it was a case study of the first blended course I designed for the English for Architecture and Urban Planning Program at my university. I am writing now an article about a chat conversation analysis which was part of my diss, and another article will soon be published about the description of these architecture blended courses. However, we can meet anytime to discuss about my experience and the students' opinions - the meeting can be f2f or online ;-) -

      hugs,

      Daf

      Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:
      Dear colleagues:

      I am an EAP teacher at the School of Education at Universidad Central de Venezuela. I am doing research in blended learning as part of my "trabajo de ascenso", which is a formal requirement to be promoted to a higher position at the university (I think Dafne explained that to you several months ago). I wonder if you might help me find articles about research studies done in this area, especially, at the university level.

      After taking the 6-week Becoming a Webhead workshop, I got many ideas and wanted to use and integrate the IC technology as a pedagogical strategy to improve my face-to-face EAP courses. As a matter of matter, I did it. It was such a great experience! It was interesting, challenging, motivating, but intensive at the same time, because I had to design a project, create the activities, implement and evaluate them in five months. It was time consuming, but it was worth. That is mainly the reason why I have been a Webhead passive member.

      Since it was only an idea at the beginning of the workshop, which became a project later, I did not have time enough to search other studies done in the blended learning area. I am currently dedicated to report all the process and the results, but I am still interested in widening my project's research background.

      I really appreciate any kind of help or recommendation.

      Evelyn

      Evelyn Izquierdo
      Profesora de Inglés
      Escuela de Educación
      Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
      Universidad Central de Venezuela
      Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
      E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

      Distance learning computer Distance learning Computer science distance learning Computer training distance learning School education Distance learning graduate school

      Distance learning computer Distance learning Computer science distance learning Computer training distance learning School education Distance learning graduate school

      Distance learning computer Distance learning Computer science distance learning Computer training distance learning School education Distance learning graduate school

    • Susana Canelo
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hello Amy:
        I visited the wiki. It's fantastic !!!
        I added my pin on the map and entered Call for reading topic.
        I wanted to leave a message:

        "Good discussion.!!! I know we haven't enough time to use the computer lab. But if you prepare a blog or wiki and upload or link activities your students can go ahead without you. At home or in a cyber café.
        It's great how many resources they can use to go on learning.
        Congratulations for your experience.
        Susana Canelo
        From Del Valle in Argentina·"

        But the problem was the Google ads. It covers part of the window and I couldn't find any send buttom. Sorry.
        If you like copy and paste the comment and add it there, just do it.
        A hug
        Susana

        Amy Meckelborg <amyvmeck@...> escribió:
        Hello Webheads,

        I've been lurking in your midst for a few months now, ever since taking the
        BaW2007 workshop. I am teaching a course this term and decided it was time
        to try out using a wiki in class. Thanks to Joao and others who have helped
        me, the wiki project is underway and I'd now like to invite your
        participation.

        The course is a master's level introductory CALL course to pre-service and
        in-service ESL teachers. The students are working on developing a CALL
        learning resource and part of that process required them to review the
        literature in their area of interest. They have been working in small groups
        and have posted the first draft of these 'lit reviews' in a wiki.

        For the next three weeks, the wikis will be open for contributions, edits
        and comments from others. My students and I would really appreciate it if
        you would take a look at what they've done and give them some feedback or
        suggestions or just encouragement. We have opened the wikis with some
        trepidation, as this is the first time for all of us to use a wiki. But the
        students are quite excited at the possibility of getting input from
        professionals from around the globe.

        Here is the URL to the class wiki: http://www.c-all.wikispaces.com

        Thanks in advance for your participation.

        Amy