Re: Blended learning in face-to face EAP courses

  • Don Hinkelman
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 3, 2005
      Dear Evelyn,

      I am working on a dissertation about the "Design of Blended
      Environments for Second Language Learning". I would be happy to
      share work in progress and hear of your thoughts on the subject.

      Regards,
      Don Hinkelman

      University of Melbourne, Horwood Language Centre
      Sapporo Gakuin University, Dept. of English
      <hinkel@...>

      > Dear colleagues:
      >
      > I am an EAP teacher at the School of Education at Universidad
      > Central de Venezuela. I am doing research in blended learning as
      > part of my "trabajo de ascenso", which is a formal requirement to
      > be promoted to a higher position at the university (I think Dafne
      > explained that to you several months ago). I wonder if you might
      > help me find articles about research studies done in this area,
      > especially, at the university level.
      >
      > After taking the 6-week Becoming a Webhead workshop, I got many
      > ideas and wanted to use and integrate the IC technology as a
      > pedagogical strategy to improve my face-to-face EAP courses. As a
      > matter of matter, I did it. It was such a great experience! It was
      > interesting, challenging, motivating, but intensive at the same
      > time, because I had to design a project, create the activities,
      > implement and evaluate them in five months. It was time consuming,
      > but it was worth. That is mainly the reason why I have been a
      > Webhead passive member.
      >
      > Since it was only an idea at the beginning of the workshop, which
      > became a project later, I did not have time enough to search other
      > studies done in the blended learning area. I am currently
      > dedicated to report all the process and the results, but I am still
      > interested in widening my project's research background.
      >
      > I really appreciate any kind of help or recommendation.
      >
      > Evelyn
      >

      > Evelyn Izquierdo
      > Profesora de Inglés
      > Escuela de Educación
      > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
      > Universidad Central de Venezuela
      > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
      > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...
    • Susana Canelo
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hello Amy:
        I visited the wiki. It's fantastic !!!
        I added my pin on the map and entered Call for reading topic.
        I wanted to leave a message:

        "Good discussion.!!! I know we haven't enough time to use the computer lab. But if you prepare a blog or wiki and upload or link activities your students can go ahead without you. At home or in a cyber café.
        It's great how many resources they can use to go on learning.
        Congratulations for your experience.
        Susana Canelo
        From Del Valle in Argentina·"

        But the problem was the Google ads. It covers part of the window and I couldn't find any send buttom. Sorry.
        If you like copy and paste the comment and add it there, just do it.
        A hug
        Susana

        Amy Meckelborg <amyvmeck@...> escribió:
        Hello Webheads,

        I've been lurking in your midst for a few months now, ever since taking the
        BaW2007 workshop. I am teaching a course this term and decided it was time
        to try out using a wiki in class. Thanks to Joao and others who have helped
        me, the wiki project is underway and I'd now like to invite your
        participation.

        The course is a master's level introductory CALL course to pre-service and
        in-service ESL teachers. The students are working on developing a CALL
        learning resource and part of that process required them to review the
        literature in their area of interest. They have been working in small groups
        and have posted the first draft of these 'lit reviews' in a wiki.

        For the next three weeks, the wikis will be open for contributions, edits
        and comments from others. My students and I would really appreciate it if
        you would take a look at what they've done and give them some feedback or
        suggestions or just encouragement. We have opened the wikis with some
        trepidation, as this is the first time for all of us to use a wiki. But the
        students are quite excited at the possibility of getting input from
        professionals from around the globe.

        Here is the URL to the class wiki: http://www.c-all.wikispaces.com

        Thanks in advance for your participation.

        Amy