Re: pictures of Susan and Christine in Tehran, Iran

  • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      Wow, I'm glad to see that so many people enjoy Iranian dishes! I
      wish I could send you all some ghormeh sabzi through my dial-up
      connection!! (And abgousht, Dennis! And khoresht bademjun,
      Christine! And, of course, Buth, sultani (chelokebab)!!)

      I think Dennis is right, though, that most people outside Iran use
      dried tareh and shanbalileh. (I know that my sister-in-law would
      take lots of dried ghormeh sabzi ingredients with her from Iran when
      they were staying in England.) On the other hand, if you do have
      access to the seeds, Lee's suggestion is great. Unfortunately, I
      don't think ghormeh sabzi would be true ghormeh sabzi without tareh
      and shanbalileh--in fact, most of the aroma is due to the
      shanbalileh (although if you overdo it, it could make the dish
      bitter).

      I wish it had occurred to me to get you the dried ghormeh sabzi
      ingredients while you were visiting, Christine. Definitely next
      time, though! (Inshallah, which, as Dennis knows, is our way of
      saying "God willing.") On the other hand, this way I can be sure of
      more guests! So everybody (meaning Chris, Dennis, Buth, Lee,
      Elizabeth, Jane, Teresa, Sus, my dear Christine, and Webheads
      worldwide!), just let me know when I may have the honor of treating
      you to some tasty Persian dishes!

      Sincerely looking forward to it,
      Susan Marandi @>---;--

      P.S. It just occurred to me: Maybe my mom would know where you
      could find the stuff in the States. I'll ask her. :-)

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, cbauer-ramazani@s...
      wrote:
      > Wow, more people coming for the potential reunion in Tehran?
      Thanks for
      > your comments, Buth. Next would be the recipe for Ghormeh Sabzi,
      of course.
      > Unfortunately, I was told by Iranian women that several major
      ingredients
      > for it cannot be obtained in the U.S. I wonder if that is the
      case anymore.
      > I must say that I didn't try it after I heard that. I'm going to
      look at
      > the recipe again in the book "In a Persian Kitchen", which has the
      recipes
      > in English (that goodness!).
      >
      > I just checked for a recipe on the Web and found it at
      > http://www.iranmania.com/travel/eating/ghormehsabzi.asp
      > <http://www.iranmania.com/travel/eating/ghormehsabzi.asp> . The
      missing
      > ingredients seem to be tareh (garlic chives) and shanbelileh
      (fenugreek),
      > which I have never heard of. I might be able to find Fenugreek
      seeds at an
      > Indian or Herb store; don't know about garlic chives; maybe garlic
      would be
      > ok.
      >
      > Do you use those ingredients, Buth? Has anyone tried to cook
      Ghormeh Sabzi
      > outside of Iran or Kuwait?
      >

      > Here are Wikipedia's explanations for Fenugreek at
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek> and Garlic Chives:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives
      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives> .
      >
      > I have the smell of Ghormeh Sabzi in my nose ...!
      >
      > Christine
      > Christine Bauer-Ramazani

      Christine in
      > Tehran, Iran
      >

      > Hi Christine and Susan,
      >
      > First, welcome back, Christine and thanks for sharing those lovely
      > photos! You do look like you had great time. Actually, I visited
      > Tehran with my family, in 1973; at that point I was still in high
      > school; and I liked it very much.
      >
      > Btw, sabzi and chelokebab, (sultani,in particular), are also my
      > favorite Iranian dishes. Most Kuwaitis know how to cook sabsi that
      has
      > been added to the Kuwaiti cuisine many years ago.
      >
      > Buth
      > PS Excuse my late reply Christine and Susan, as I'm still trying
      > catch up with emails and other stuff, following my arrival from a
      3-
      > week trip to the USA.
      >

      > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Bauer-
      Ramazani"
      > wrote:
      > > I just posted 4 pictures that Susan Marandi and her mom, Massey,
      > took
      > > of our meeting in Tehran, Iran. To see them, go to the Webheads
      Web
      > > site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads,
      > on
      > > the PHOTOS link on the left and find the album titles "2
      Webheads in
      > > Tehran, Iran".
      > >
      > > Great memories! I will return!
      > > Christine
      >

      > For more information:

      http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
      tm

      <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.
      htm>

      > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
      please delete
      > this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
      Thanks!!

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

      subject=Unsubscrib

    • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        That sounds like a winner, Lee. My husband loves gardening anyway, so I
        will look for them. Did you start them as plants or seeds, and where did
        you buy them--catalog?

        Christine