Question: ftp prgm?

  • djn@dennisnewson.de
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
      Greetings.

      I'm just trying to re-organise myself on a new PC after the old one ground to a halt.

      Which, preferably free, ftp program would you recommend for uploading files to websites?

      With thanks,

      Dennis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
        Hi, Dennis!

        I'm a longtime fan of WS FTP32. I've been using it a lot lately to migrate
        all my website to another server and I've had no problems.

        Teresa (in sunny Lisbon)

        > I'm just trying to re-organise myself on a new PC after the old one ground
        > to a halt.
        > Which, preferably free, ftp program would you recommend for uploading
        > files to websites?
        > With thanks,
        > Dennis
      • Candace Pauchnick
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
          Hi Dennis,
          I have been using WS_FTP95 for my web site and it is free and has never given me problems. In fact, most of our teachers at the high school where I teach uses this and I've never heard complaints. Here is the link where you can download it.
          http://www.uottawa.ca/help/ws_ftpe.html
          Good luck and take care,
          Candy

          djn@... wrote:
          Greetings.

          I'm just trying to re-organise myself on a new PC after the old one ground to a halt.

          Which, preferably free, ftp program would you recommend for uploading files to websites?

          With thanks,

          Dennis

        • Ammann Rudolf
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
            Candace Pauchnick wrote:

            > Here is the link where you can download it.
            > http://www.uottawa.ca/help/ws_ftpe.html

            WS_FTP is made and distributed by Ipswitch, and by re-distributing the
            application, the University of Ottawa is almost certainly in breach of
            Ipswitch's licensing terms.

            Ipswitch, in addition, has recently withdrawn the free version of the
            product from the "educational market":

            <http://www.ipswitch.com/company/press_releases/050503_wsftp_education.asp>

            Of course, there are open-source alternatives that are every bit as good
            and that don't have any restrictive licensing terms. Among those, I'd
            recommend FileZilla for Windows and Fugu for Mac.

            :: Rudolf
            :: http://dekita.org
          • Candace Pauchnick
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
              Dear Rudolf,
              I found this information extremely interesting and I will certainly let our technology administration know about this change in Ipswitch. I am glad you sent the link of the press release and I found it most enlightening. I'm impressed with your knowledge of the latest changes and with good suggestions of what to try. I will pass along FileZilla & Fugu to my colleagues, too. Thanks a million for sharing all of this.

              This is one more reason why I love this Webhead group!!! I always learn so much from all of you!
              Candy

              Ammann Rudolf <ammann@...-u.ac.jp> wrote:
              Candace Pauchnick wrote:

              > Here is the link where you can download it.
              > http://www.uottawa.ca/help/ws_ftpe.html

              WS_FTP is made and distributed by Ipswitch, and by re-distributing the
              application, the University of Ottawa is almost certainly in breach of
              Ipswitch's licensing terms.

              Ipswitch, in addition, has recently withdrawn the free version of the
              product from the "educational market":

              <http://www.ipswitch.com/company/press_releases/050503_wsftp_education.asp>

              Of course, there are open-source alternatives that are every bit as good
              and that don't have any restrictive licensing terms. Among those, I'd
              recommend FileZilla for Windows and Fugu for Mac.

              :: Rudolf
              :: http://dekita.org

            • Rudolf Ammann
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                Candace Pauchnick wrote:

                >Thanks a million for sharing all of this.

                No problem.

                Next time you're looking for a piece of software, you might want to
                start on Tucows.

                Here's the FileZilla page:

                http://www.tucows.com/preview/209262

                For alternative suggestions, type "FTP client" in the search box top
                right, choose your operating system and hit "Go".

                The more cows, the better the rating.

                :: Rudolf
                :: http://dekita.org
              • Candace Pauchnick
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Dear Rudolf,
                  I looked at the FileZilla version 2.2.0 and it looks good to me and it seems very popular with 4 cows! Again, I will pass this on to my other colleagues. This is great information. All your help deserves 5 big healthy cows!!!!! :-) :-) :-)
                  Thanks another million!!!!
                  Candy