RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: pictures of Susan and Christine i n Tehran, Iran

  • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
      Thanks for the tip, Bee! I may have to go to Boston or Montreal since
      Burlington, VT doesn't have much in the way of international markets ...

      Christine
      Christine Bauer-Ramazani

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
        Salaam, Christine.

        I also have "In a Persian Kitchen," but have never tried to make
        ghormeh sabzi--mostly because I've also been told by Iranians that
        certain ingredients (garlic chives and fresh fenugreek--not
        fenugreek seeds) just aren't available here. The ghormeh sabzi that
        I've had in restaurants and at students' houses has usually been made
        with dried forms of both of the elusive herbs.

        I once asked if anything more readily available here could be
        substituted and was told no--that is, only tareh and shanbelileh give
        ghormeh sabzi its distinctive smell and taste.

        I've seen dried tareh and shanbelileh in Arab and Persian food stores
        (and some restaurants) in Arizona, but I can't remember where!

        D. O.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, cbauer-ramazani@s...
        wrote:
        > Wow, more people coming for the potential reunion in Tehran?
        Thanks for
        > your comments, Buth. Next would be the recipe for Ghormeh Sabzi, of
        course.
        > Unfortunately, I was told by Iranian women that several major
        ingredients
        > for it cannot be obtained in the U.S. I wonder if that is the case
        anymore.
        > I must say that I didn't try it after I heard that. I'm going to
        look at
        > the recipe again in the book "In a Persian Kitchen", which has the
        recipes
        > in English (that goodness!).
        >
        > I just checked for a recipe on the Web and found it at
        > http://www.iranmania.com/travel/eating/ghormehsabzi.asp
        > <http://www.iranmania.com/travel/eating/ghormehsabzi.asp> . The
        missing
        > ingredients seem to be tareh (garlic chives) and shanbelileh
        (fenugreek),
        > which I have never heard of. I might be able to find Fenugreek
        seeds at an
        > Indian or Herb store; don't know about garlic chives; maybe garlic
        would be
        > ok.
        >
        > Do you use those ingredients, Buth? Has anyone tried to cook
        Ghormeh Sabzi
        > outside of Iran or Kuwait?
        >

        > Here are Wikipedia's explanations for Fenugreek at
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek> and Garlic Chives:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives> .
        >
        > I have the smell of Ghormeh Sabzi in my nose ...!
        >
        > Christine
        > Christine Bauer-Ramazani

        Christine in
        > Tehran, Iran
        >

        > Hi Christine and Susan,
        >
        > First, welcome back, Christine and thanks for sharing those lovely
        > photos! You do look like you had great time. Actually, I visited
        > Tehran with my family, in 1973; at that point I was still in high
        > school; and I liked it very much.
        >
        > Btw, sabzi and chelokebab, (sultani,in particular), are also my
        > favorite Iranian dishes. Most Kuwaitis know how to cook sabsi that
        has
        > been added to the Kuwaiti cuisine many years ago.
        >
        > Buth
        > PS Excuse my late reply Christine and Susan, as I'm still trying to
        > catch up with emails and other stuff, following my arrival from a 3-
        > week trip to the USA.
        >

        > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Christine
        Bauer-Ramazani"
        > wrote:
        > > I just posted 4 pictures that Susan Marandi and her mom, Massey,
        > took
        > > of our meeting in Tehran, Iran. To see them, go to the Webheads
        Web
        > > site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads,
        > on
        > > the PHOTOS link on the left and find the album titles "2 Webheads
        in
        > > Tehran, Iran".
        > >
        > > Great memories! I will return!
        > > Christine
        >

        > For more information:
        > http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/ev
        online2002/webheads.htm

        <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evo
        nline2002/webheads.htm>

        > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
        delete

        > _____
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

        ups.com?subject=Unsubscrib
        > e>

        > _____

      • Lee Baber
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
          You know, I have grown both herbs here in Virginia. Why don't you try
          some little herb plants. I have grown them inside as well so you can
          bring them in for winter.

        • Jane Petring
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
            Hi Christine--
            Judging from the picture in the link Bee sent, I'm quite sure I've
            seen garlic chives in the market I go to regularly (which is
            frequented by many Chinese and Middle Eastern shoppers). Maybe we'll
            have to set up a Montreal or Burlington Webhead rendezvous!

            Jane in Montreal

            wrote:
            > Thanks for the tip, Bee! I may have to go to Boston or Montreal
            since
            > Burlington, VT doesn't have much in the way of international
            markets ...

            > Christine
            > Christine Bauer-Ramazani

            Christine in
            > Tehran, Iran
            >

            > Hi Christine,
            >
            > You may find garlic chives in Japanese /Chinese markets (at least
            this is
            > where I find them here in Brazil). They do not taste exactly like
            garlic nor

            > like onions...it's a green pungent leaf taste between both.
            > http://www.nre.vic.gov.au/trade/asiaveg/images/garfchi2.jpg
            > <http://www.nre.vic.gov.au/trade/asiaveg/images/garfchi2.jpg>
            >
            > I do not recognize fenugreek though as something I have ever eaten
            or seen.
            > Warm regards from Brazil,
            > Bee
            >
            > Barbara Dieu
            > http://dekita.org <http://dekita.org>
            > http://members.tripod.com/the_english_dept
            > <http://members.tripod.com/the_english_dept>
            >

            > For more information:

            http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.ht

            <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
            tm>

            > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
            delete

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

            subject=Unsubscrib
            > e>

            > _____

          • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
              Wow, I'm glad to see that so many people enjoy Iranian dishes! I
              wish I could send you all some ghormeh sabzi through my dial-up
              connection!! (And abgousht, Dennis! And khoresht bademjun,
              Christine! And, of course, Buth, sultani (chelokebab)!!)

              I think Dennis is right, though, that most people outside Iran use
              dried tareh and shanbalileh. (I know that my sister-in-law would
              take lots of dried ghormeh sabzi ingredients with her from Iran when
              they were staying in England.) On the other hand, if you do have
              access to the seeds, Lee's suggestion is great. Unfortunately, I
              don't think ghormeh sabzi would be true ghormeh sabzi without tareh
              and shanbalileh--in fact, most of the aroma is due to the
              shanbalileh (although if you overdo it, it could make the dish
              bitter).

              I wish it had occurred to me to get you the dried ghormeh sabzi
              ingredients while you were visiting, Christine. Definitely next
              time, though! (Inshallah, which, as Dennis knows, is our way of
              saying "God willing.") On the other hand, this way I can be sure of
              more guests! So everybody (meaning Chris, Dennis, Buth, Lee,
              Elizabeth, Jane, Teresa, Sus, my dear Christine, and Webheads
              worldwide!), just let me know when I may have the honor of treating
              you to some tasty Persian dishes!

              Sincerely looking forward to it,
              Susan Marandi @>---;--

              P.S. It just occurred to me: Maybe my mom would know where you
              could find the stuff in the States. I'll ask her. :-)

            • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                That sounds like a winner, Lee. My husband loves gardening anyway, so I
                will look for them. Did you start them as plants or seeds, and where did
                you buy them--catalog?

                Christine

> [...]

                > (fenugreek),
                >> which I have never heard of. I might be able to find Fenugreek
                > seeds at an
                >> Indian or Herb store; don't know about garlic chives; maybe garlic
                > would be
                >> ok.
                >>
                >> Do you use those ingredients, Buth? Has anyone tried to cook
                > Ghormeh Sabzi
                >> outside of Iran or Kuwait?
                >>

                >> Here are Wikipedia's explanations for Fenugreek at
                >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek
                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek>
                >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek
                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek> > and Garlic Chives:
                >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives
                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives>
                >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives
                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives> > .

                >> I have the smell of Ghormeh Sabzi in my nose ...!

                Terms of Service.

                >> _____

                > For more information:
                <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                > delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                > Thanks!!
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>

                Distance learning computer