Wimba

  • lena_parshina
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 6, 2002
      Hi, Michael. Thank you for your message and for your supporting
      words. It's very nice to hear such messages. I have a desire to
      create multimedia page.Without any doubt "what to say" is the main
      part, but this is great when you have means to reach the goals.

      Doctor John Steel, sir, you wrote in your message:
      <They prefer and usually ask you) to download the file and place it
      on your
      own site.
      Did you mean that they(webmasters) ask to download the file on your
      Hard Drive? Forgive me my ignorance, but I am lost in the Multimedia
      Forest. Could you kindly tell me what extention should the downloaded
      file have?
      Thank you.
      Best wishes to all.
      Lena.
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
        Hi Lena and other multimedia explorers,

        regarding the question of linking to another homepage versus placing
        the file on your own address, you would like to download the file to
        your local computer, then upload it again to your host server file
        space - which means that in case you wish to palce several heavier
        files with sound and video, you will have to find enough MB for your
        homepage.

        I have got an instant idea: in case we are many webheads in need for
        filespace-demanding sound files, it might be an idea to make some
        kind of pool storage? I mean, in case, let's say that Aiden or Lena
        places some sound or video in their domain, we could cross-link to
        those files internally on our specific homepages in our webheads
        community? asnother possibiulity is to make a search for free
        services offering file space, but as we know, we ghave to be well
        prepared for an upcoming day where free goods in cyberspace will be
        more or less prehistoric, now that we are among the front runners
        proving that these services for groupware and community building are
        valued and needed!

        Sus

      • vancestev@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
          You've heard of Napster. How about Webheadster?

          Seriously, if we do accumulate a body of media files, it is important that
          each file be copyright free, permission granted, or our property, whatever.

          You can't take someone else's media file and put it on your server for others
          to access on the Internet without getting the owner's permission first.
          Where I work, we've contacted owners of media files and secured permission to
          put them on our server in Abu Dhabi for use IN HOUSE with explicit
          stipulation that we NOT make this material available on the Internet, and if
          we do use it on the Internet, that we link to the ORIGINAL source, not the
          file on our server.

          I went to Randall Davis's presentation in Davis and was impressed to find out
          that the main premise of his site is that it's all his own material by virtue
          of his having scripted and recorded it with his (extended) family. Randall
          is one we have contacted about putting his stuff on our server for use in
          house, and he has denied us this permission - for good reason, considering
          all the work he has put into it.

          So if you do use media, respect copyright.

          Vance

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
            The extension should be the same as the original. The extension tells your
            computer what program to use to open the file. Your computer has no idea
            what program to use through any means except this extension. If the
            extension is incorrect, then your computer will not know what to do with the
            file.

            Vance

            (p.s. You can launch an application, and then use the File/Open or Browse
            facility to find files with any extension and your application will attempt
            to open the file as you have instructed - the extension allows the computer
            to do this without your intervention)

            In a message dated 4/7/02 10:56:22 AM Arabian Standard Time,
            lenaparshina@... writes:

            << Forgive me my ignorance, but I am lost in the Multimedia
            Forest. Could you kindly tell me what extention should the downloaded
            file have?
            Thank you.
            Best wishes to all.
            Lena. >>
          • Lena Parshina
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
              Susan, very interesting idea, as usual. Though I have to process the
              information, it's still a little bit confusing for me, but sooner or later
              everything will be on the shelves.

              Vance, thank you for your help. i appreciate it very much. My
              experts(husband and daughter) continue to give me instructions. And I
              myself, experimenting with all this, got the right feeling, the the file
              should be on FTP or in the File manager. The only problem is that the
              musical files are very big(heavy,as Susan said). So keeping in mind .wav
              files was the wrong direction. Mp3 files are much smaller. And I have only
              10 MB my FTP space. I will try with geocities, probably.
              There is also opportunity to compress the files, but the quality will be
              not so good.
              We got a very expensive and complicated camera, which can take pictures and
              also work as a video camera My guess, it might work also as a webcam. it's
              very multifunctional. Also need time to read all the instructions.
              Cheers.
              Lena.

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
                Vance,

                you're ever so right. I was a bit to fast here. Oh, sure thing, I was
                actually thinking of pooling HOMEMADE recorded sound and video files
                :-))
                Seriously, I have some digital video taped interviews that me and my
                friend made with some children and people when we visited Vancouver
                Island; so we would be the copyright owners, definitely. Those were
                meant to be used for education and the sound quality of some of them
                is quite excellent, (I was the interviewer and my friend was the
                camera man). I was looking at some of them yesterday, as iMovie on my
                mac computer is great for video editing. But they are too big (or
                heavy) files, so if I just added a few chunks of just five minutes
                each, my FTP space would easily be swallowed up. Guess that in case I
                really needed to use the video material for good in a course, I had
                better find a well preserved file server space to keep it, and make
                sure the stuff was copyright protected, uh?

                Forget all about it.

                Sus [the blushing amateur]

              • J. H. Steele
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
                  Lena,

                  First, please call me John, not Dr. Steele. Yes, I meant the webmasters. The
                  major reason for this is the amount of bandwidth that is used when people
                  from many sites are linked to the same music and download it ever time
                  someone opens their page. Instead, they usually prefer you to download it to
                  your own hard drive and then place it (upload it) to your own page.

                  Of course, as Vance mentioned, you have to be careful when using copyrighted
                  work. Whenever possible, try to get their permission.

                  John, MI

                  John H. Steele, Ph.D.
                  Prof. English Department
                  University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
                  jhsteele@... http://www.eslpalace.com

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
                    Thank you John. This thing is very familiar to me. Non-stop musical
                    exchange, musical forums etc. We have a lot of music in our computer and
                    have to clean it into MP3 discs from time to time.
                    Best Wishes.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 7, 2002
                      I don't mean to dampen enthusiasm <vance wipes up spilled enthusiasm with
                      absorbent cloth and puts it gently back where it was>

                      If you own copyright to the material, then you've passed that test.

                      The other question is where to put it. I don't know about that. It would
                      probably require an institutional server somewhere or outlay of money to
                      maintain files on a commercial server. I was half serious about Webheadster.
                      Napster is technology that allows mutual users to access media files from
                      each other's hard drives. An interesting concept if you're looking for
                      someplace to keep big files!

                      Don't know how to implement that but maybe this discussion will give someone
                      an idea.

                      Vance

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 8, 2002
                        Hi, Susan. Hi all.
                        I would like to put some thoughts about "Pool space for heavy files" here. I
                        also don't know where and how. On my opinion, it should be the pool space
                        for sharing the files, like an informational bank for the group or several
                        groups with common interests. We talked about Copyright a lot lately. It's
                        rather easy concept, if it's not yours, don't touch it. Maybe not a bad idea
                        would be to organize sections in the Pool space, for copyrighted files, for
                        the files , which are not copyrighted, but the person, who put the file, was
                        involved in the creation of it. In short in this case anybody would need
                        permission, because the author of the file might want to know the purposes
                        of the usage. But the biggest section should be for the free exchange. If
                        it's not copyrighted and you are not the author, why not to share. Actually
                        I understand this is the main idea of gathering people into Groups, to share
                        information and different kinds of materials.
                        Susan, what do you think about it?
                        Cheers Lena.

                        regarding the question of linking to another homepage versus placing
                        the file on your own address, you would like to download the file to
                        your local computer, then upload it again to your host server file
                        space - which means that in case you wish to palce several heavier
                        files with sound and video, you will have to find enough MB for your
                        homepage.

                        I have got an instant idea: in case we are many webheads in need for
                        filespace-demanding sound files, it might be an idea to make some
                        kind of pool storage? I mean, in case, let's say that Aiden or Lena
                        places some sound or video in their domain, we could cross-link to
                        those files internally on our specific homepages in our webheads
                        community? asnother possibiulity is to make a search for free
                        services offering file space, but as we know, we ghave to be well
                        prepared for an upcoming day where free goods in cyberspace will be
                        more or less prehistoric, now that we are among the front runners
                        proving that these services for groupware and community building are
                        valued and needed!

                        Sus

                        >Hi, Michael. Thank you for your message and for your supporting
                        >words. It's very nice to hear such messages. I have a desire to
                        >create multimedia page.Without any doubt "what to say" is the main
                        >part, but this is great when you have means to reach the goals.
                        >
                        >Doctor John Steel, sir, you wrote in your message:
                        ><They prefer and usually ask you) to download the file and place it
                        >on your
                        >own site.
                        >Did you mean that they(webmasters) ask to download the file on your
                        >Hard Drive? Forgive me my ignorance, but I am lost in the Multimedia
                        >Forest. Could you kindly tell me what extention should the downloaded
                        >file have?
                        >Thank you.
                        >Best wishes to all.
                        >Lena.

                        >For more information:
                        >http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                        >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                        >
                        >Syllabus:
                        >http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm
                        >http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

                        Syllabus:

                      • Chris Jones
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 30, 2003
                          Hi, all,

                          I enjoyed Teresa's presentation so much that I decided
                          it was time to try voice chat with one of my classes.
                          I've used all sorts of excuses in the past. Anyway I
                          had 3 students who finished their work early in my
                          Internet class login to Wimba. All the computers,
                          including the instructor's, came up with "voice
                          unavailable." :-( I then came back to my office and
                          tried it here, and the voice was initialized fine.

                          I'm pretty sure that voice has somehow been disabled
                          on most college computers. I also asked to have Real
                          One put on the only computer in a regular classroom
                          for next fall, so I could use Real English videos. I
                          was asked specifically which classroom I use since
                          Real One has been disabled in classrooms.

                          It's evidentally a bandwith problem. (I understand
                          the concept but not the details on this.) Our T1
                          connection is often at near full capacity. I think
                          this also explains why I had so much lag while logged
                          into Tapped In yesterday for a session.

                          Thanks, Teresa, for spurring me on. I will persevere,
                          but there are more hurdles than I was anticipating.

                          Chris Jones

                          http://search.yahoo.com
                        • Fernanda Rodrigues
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 30, 2003
                            Hi all
                            I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                            order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                            too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?

                            http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/

                            Please say something. For the moment use:
                            login:teste
                            password: teste

                            Fernanda

                            Fernanda Rodrigues
                            Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                            Setúbal
                            http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 1, 2003
                              Dear Chris,

                              I'd like to start by thanking you personally for your great patience,
                              endurance and contribution to my session. I kept identifying the different
                              places you all were in and stressing the different time zones. I
                              particularly emphasized the early morning hour in your time zone, Chris. And
                              said it revealed our bonds, team spirit and collaboration!

                              I also enjoyed the voice chat and so did the audience: completely
                              concentrated the whole time and totally amazed at the quality and clearness
                              of most of the voices. It still amazes me too!

                              We had an ISDN connection and I didn't think we'd get through to another so
                              well.

                              I'm glad that the session encouraged you to try voice chat with your
                              students and hope you get all your computer lab problems solved soon. Chris,
                              what is life without problems? Boring, right! ;-)

                              We will all continue persevering. I still have to give chat a try with my
                              students. But I'll take one step at a time with them. It's going to be a
                              giant leap for them, especially because it will be in the L2.

                              Hugs, Teresa

                              > Hi, all,
                              >
                              > I enjoyed Teresa's presentation so much that I decided
                              > it was time to try voice chat with one of my classes.
                              > I've used all sorts of excuses in the past. Anyway I
                              > had 3 students who finished their work early in my
                              > Internet class login to Wimba. All the computers,
                              > including the instructor's, came up with "voice
                              > unavailable." :-( I then came back to my office and
                              > tried it here, and the voice was initialized fine.
                              >
                              > . . .
                              >
                              > Thanks, Teresa, for spurring me on. I will persevere,
                              > but there are more hurdles than I was anticipating.
                              >
                              > Chris Jones
                            • Susanne Nyrop
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 1, 2003
                                Hi Fernanda,

                                I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions (about
                                myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message turned
                                up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh browser
                                version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar problem?

                                Yours, Sus

                                > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                >

                                > Hi all
                                > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                >
                                > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                >
                                > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                > login:teste
                                > password: teste
                                >
                                > Fernanda

                              • Maria Albers de Urriola
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 1, 2003
                                  Hi Fernanda,
                                  I had the same problem Susan had, after submiting I got the
                                  this-page-could-not-be-found message.
                                  Why not include the institution we work for? Everything depends on the
                                  purpose of the table.
                                  Greetings,
                                  María Irene
                                  I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                  order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                  too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?

                                  http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/

                                  Please say something. For the moment use:
                                  login:teste
                                  password: teste

                                  Fernanda

                                  Fernanda Rodrigues
                                  Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                                  Setúbal
                                  http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

                                  extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                • J. H. Steele
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 1, 2003
                                    Ditto here using MS Explorer on a PC. Oh, and I second the idea of putting
                                    the institution on the list of topics.

                                    Dr. Cat

                                    Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                      Hi Sus, Maria and John

                                      I'm trying to figure out why you got an error message after submitting.
                                      I tried the form mysel and had no problem and neither did Arif and
                                      Damian, who managed to insert their data, as you can see here:
                                      http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp

                                      I'm including the institution as you suggested, and any more fields you
                                      find essential.
                                      The purpose of the files is to enable search and sorting by name,
                                      surname, or any other field.

                                      Fernanda

                                      On Fri, 02 May 2003 00:18:47 +0200
                                      Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Fernanda,
                                      >
                                      > I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions (about
                                      > myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message turned
                                      > up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh browser
                                      > version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar problem?
                                      >
                                      > Yours, Sus
                                      >
                                      > > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                      > > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                      > > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                      > > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                      > >

                                      > > Hi all
                                      > > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                      > > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                      > > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                      > >
                                      > > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                      > > login:teste
                                      > > password: teste
                                      > >
                                      > > Fernanda

                                      > For more information:
                                      >
                                      > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                      Fernanda Rodrigues
                                      Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                                      Setúbal
                                      http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
                                    • dafne Chavez
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                        Fernanda, I also got the error message after submitting :-( Daf

                                        Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:Hi Sus, Maria and John

                                        Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Fernanda,
                                        >
                                        > I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions (about
                                        > myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message turned
                                        > up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh browser
                                        > version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar problem?
                                        >
                                        > Yours, Sus
                                        >
                                        > > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                        > > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                        > > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                        > > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                        > >

                                        > > Hi all
                                        > > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                        > > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                        > > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                        > >
                                        > > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                        > >
                                        > > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                        > > login:teste
                                        > > password: teste
                                        > >
                                        > > Fernanda

                                        > For more information:
                                        >
                                        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                        Fernanda Rodrigues
                                        Escola Secund�ria Sebasti�o da Gama
                                        Set�bal
                                        http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

                                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=1/1051885700+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECflash"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/proflowers_mom_300x250_30k.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=2/id=altimgurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=3/1051885700+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/mday_300x250_vase_20k.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                          From: Chris Jones <edtec2002@...>
                                          Subject: Wimba

                                          Hi, all,

                                          I enjoyed Teresa's presentation so much that I decided
                                          it was time to try voice chat with one of my classes.
                                          I've used all sorts of excuses in the past. Anyway I
                                          had 3 students who finished their work early in my
                                          Internet class login to Wimba. All the computers,
                                          including the instructor's, came up with "voice
                                          unavailable." :-( I then came back to my office and
                                          tried it here, and the voice was initialized fine. <

                                          Ok, what's the difference between your office and student computers? Ask you network administrator if there are any differences in firewall permissions. If he says not then it would be something particular to the computers themselves.

                                          Venny helped me out of a jam on my TESOL laptop by reminding me of this site:

                                          To resolve Java problems, update here: http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

                                          I've installed the fix to a couple of computers and got Wimba working. You might also look into Direct X issues. Do you have a different version of Direct-X on your office and student computers? MS have a new Direct-X 9.0 out that has resolved connectivity problems on some computers in my workplace (couldn't get tapped in before, now they can). I haven't had a chance to investigate this much, but these are two things you can try.

                                          I'm pretty sure that voice has somehow been disabled
                                          on most college computers. I also asked to have Real
                                          One put on the only computer in a regular classroom
                                          for next fall, so I could use Real English videos. I
                                          was asked specifically which classroom I use since
                                          Real One has been disabled in classrooms.

                                          It's evidentally a bandwith problem.

                                          This is reasonable. We had the same problem on our network at one point. Firewalls can be slowing you down. Redundant firewalls are a problem on some networks. Chokepoints at obsolute switches and routers can cause problems. You need Real functionality, so agitate for more bandwidth.

                                          Vance
                                        • Fernanda Rodrigues
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                            Could you please tell me what error message you get?

                                            Fernanda

                                            On Fri, 2 May 2003 08:28:59 -0700 (PDT)
                                            dafne Chavez <dygonza@...> wrote:

                                            > Fernanda, I also got the error message after submitting :-( Daf
                                            >
                                            > Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:Hi Sus, Maria and John
                                            >
                                            > I'm trying to figure out why you got an error message after submitting.
                                            > I tried the form mysel and had no problem and neither did Arif and
                                            > Damian, who managed to insert their data, as you can see here:
                                            > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp
                                            >
                                            > I'm including the institution as you suggested, and any more fields you
                                            > find essential.
                                            > The purpose of the files is to enable search and sorting by name,
                                            > surname, or any other field.
                                            >
                                            > Fernanda
                                            >
                                            > On Fri, 02 May 2003 00:18:47 +0200
                                            > Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Hi Fernanda,
                                            > >
                                            > > I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions (about
                                            > > myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message turned
                                            > > up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh browser
                                            > > version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar problem?
                                            > >
                                            > > Yours, Sus
                                            > >
                                            > > > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                            > > > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                            > > > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                            > > > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                            > > >

                                            > > > Hi all
                                            > > > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                            > > > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                            > > > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                            > > > login:teste
                                            > > > password: teste
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Fernanda

                                          • John H. Steele
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                              The error message I get is "page not found".

                                              John (Dr. Cat)

                                              j_steele@...
                                              http://www.eslpalace.com

                                              dafne Chavez <dygonza@...> wrote:

                                              > Fernanda, I also got the error message after submitting :-( Daf
                                              >
                                              > Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:Hi Sus,
                                              Maria and John

                                              > I'm trying to figure out why you got an error message after
                                              submitting.
                                              > I tried the form mysel and had no problem and neither did Arif and
                                              > Damian, who managed to insert their data, as you can see here:
                                              > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp
                                              >
                                              > I'm including the institution as you suggested, and any more fields
                                              you
                                              > find essential.
                                              > The purpose of the files is to enable search and sorting by name,
                                              > surname, or any other field.
                                              >
                                              > Fernanda
                                              >
                                              > On Fri, 02 May 2003 00:18:47 +0200
                                              > Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Hi Fernanda,
                                              > >
                                              > > I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions
                                              (about
                                              > > myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message
                                              turned
                                              > > up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh
                                              browser
                                              > > version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar
                                              problem?

                                              > > Yours, Sus
                                              > >
                                              > > > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                              > > > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                              > > > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                              > > >

                                              > > > Hi all
                                              > > > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating
                                              in
                                              > > > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields
                                              are
                                              > > > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                              > > > login:teste
                                              > > > password: teste
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Fernanda

                                              extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                            • dafne Chavez
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                                This is it, Fernanda: HTTP 500 - Error interno del servidor
                                                Internet Explorer Daf

                                                Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:Could you please tell me what error message you get?

                                                dafne Chavez <dygonza@...> wrote:

                                                > Fernanda, I also got the error message after submitting :-( Daf
                                                >
                                                > Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:Hi Sus, Maria and John
                                                >
                                                > I'm trying to figure out why you got an error message after submitting.
                                                > I tried the form mysel and had no problem and neither did Arif and
                                                > Damian, who managed to insert their data, as you can see here:
                                                > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp
                                                >
                                                > I'm including the institution as you suggested, and any more fields you
                                                > find essential.
                                                > The purpose of the files is to enable search and sorting by name,
                                                > surname, or any other field.
                                                >
                                                > Fernanda
                                                >
                                                > On Fri, 02 May 2003 00:18:47 +0200
                                                > Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > Hi Fernanda,
                                                > >
                                                > > I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions (about
                                                > > myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message turned
                                                > > up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh browser
                                                > > version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar problem?
                                                > >
                                                > > Yours, Sus
                                                > >
                                                > > > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                                > > > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                                > > > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                                > > > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Hi all
                                                > > > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                                > > > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                                > > > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                                > > > login:teste
                                                > > > password: teste
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Fernanda

                                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                                var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=1/1051890520+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECflash"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/proflowers_mom_300x250_30k.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=2/id=altimgurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=3/1051890520+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/mday_300x250_vase_20k.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

                                              • Susanne Nyrop
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                                  Fernanda,

                                                  When I try to enter my informations,

                                                  my error message looks as follows:

                                                  Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

                                                  Field 'webheads_tbl.icq' cannot be a zero-length string.

                                                  /users/mfr/wia/register.asp, line 115

                                                  (once I am at the fill in form, I still see no field for my occupation or
                                                  affiliation. Also, I am wondering what I am supposed to enter as my login
                                                  and Password(passwords are usually personal - and what domain are you
                                                  asking for?)

                                                  I was using the URL below. http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/

                                                  Hugs, Sus

                                                • Maria Albers de Urriola
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                                    The error is page not found, get in touch with http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/
                                                    María Irene

                                                    Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi Fernanda,
                                                    >
                                                    > I tried to fill in your information template. And the questions (about
                                                    > myself, my nationality etc) looked reasonable. But an error message turned
                                                    > up when I wanted to submit. This might be caused of my Macintosh browser
                                                    > version of Internet Explorer. Did anyone else have a similar problem?
                                                    >
                                                    > Yours, Sus
                                                    >
                                                    > > From: Fernanda Rodrigues <fernanda.rodrigues@...>
                                                    > > Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 00:33:42 +0100
                                                    > > To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                                                    > > Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] sortable tables
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Hi all
                                                    > > I'd like you to take a look and comment on the files I'm creating in
                                                    > > order to produce (later) a sortable table. Do you think the fields are
                                                    > > too many/too few/the right ones/sth important missing?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Please say something. For the moment use:
                                                    > > login:teste
                                                    > > password: teste
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Fernanda

                                                    > For more information:

                                                    extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                                    Fernanda Rodrigues
                                                    Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                                                    Setúbal
                                                    http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

                                                    extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                                  • CJones
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 2, 2003
                                                      Hi, Vance,

                                                      Thanks for responding. I'm sure this is something I have to work out
                                                      with the technical staff at my college, and it is an issue of
                                                      bandwith. The difference between my office computer and the
                                                      computers in the labs and classrooms is Windows 98 vs Windows 2000.
                                                      The latter are locked down, so no programs can be added except by
                                                      technicians with appropriate passwords. I just found out this week
                                                      that Real One has been disabled or not installed on those computers.
                                                      I'm supposed to have Windows 2000 on my office computer as well, but
                                                      I've made a point not to complain about small problems this year.
                                                      The technicians have been too busy to go around and check all the
                                                      staff computers, but that may happen this summer.

                                                      Meanwhile I need to put on my most persuasive behavior and explain to
                                                      a couple administrators why I want to use software with voice
                                                      capabilities. My request for Yahoo Messenger in the computer
                                                      classroom next fall has already been made as well as Real One in the
                                                      other classroom I'll use. I had hoped to try out one of the Real
                                                      English videos with a class this spring. Too late now as we have
                                                      only one week of class and finals.

                                                      Chris Jones

                                                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens