475Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Backflip, organizing your links

    Mar 1 1:49 AM
      Thanks for the reply. I just woke up after getting in at 4 a.m. last night. I chatted with Daf from a cybercafe in Nairobi, and I just saw Aiden online a moment ago. I've just downloaded the 400 emails I missed over the last 10 days, many from our session.

      I never got a chance to complete the email below. Power went off suddenly in Nairobi but fortunately I happened to be sitting at a computer on UPS power system and managed to send my message before it went off too. I'm adding to what I was saying below ...

      dygonza wrote:

      > Hello,
      > After checking Vance's superb webpage:
      >
      > http://www.vancestevens.com/esl_home.htm
      >
      > I think he is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
      > them handy is your own webpage. It is probably not a fast job, but it
      > is your page and you do not have to rely on any of these services.

      It CAN be a more convenient way for you to organize your bookmarks. The point I was trying to make was that when you design a web or OLE site the most important thing is to have a good idea of the content you want. Setting out to organize bookmarks can be a good way to start.

      > > So if organizing bookmarks interests you, consider ...
      > > (1) getting a website niche carved out for yourself at geocities, or
      > Tripod (two I've found to be still free and easy to use).

      (2) Starting a web page using one of the editors we've mentioned (you create this on your computer)

      (3) Uploading the pages you create to the web space you set up in point #1 above (it works on the web like it does on your computer)

      (4) Sending us a link to your page, as some of you have done already

      I see from our syllabus that this was our goal for the last week in February, whereas the goal for the coming week is to make refinements to those pages. Some of you are already at that step, in particular where you're noticing that your pictures are too large for easy download. The procedure in this case is to get image manipulation software and reduce the size of these photos. The one I use is Thumbs Plus at http://www.cerious.com, but some of you have suggested others as we can see from the syllabus.

      I'll spend some of today working on our syllabus pages to bring them up to date. Meantime if you have any questions, send them to the list.

      Vance [back in the saddle]
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic