31321[evonline2002_webheads] Need help emulating traditional language lab

    Aug 23 9:02 AM
      Vance,

      It records everything in the cloud, as far as I remember.

      You can record the prompt and have students record their replies separately. All will show up in sequence. I think it would be interesting for students to hear their peers.

      If you want each student to have their own, then you'd have to create separate talkgroups. That would be time consuming.

      When in sequence, they can always just click on their own reply.

      This is a great tool for many activities, among them, Q&A, similar to what you need, I think.

      The sound quality is very good.

      Yes, I love to see Dennis in the stream and listen to him. Very fond memories. :-)

      Teresa

      On Saturday, August 23, 2014, Vance Stevens vancestev@... [evonline2002_webheads] <evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks Teresa,

      As i recall Voxpop lets users record to the cloud then plays those sounds one after the other, is this correct? What I'm looking for is somewhere the student can hear  a prompt and record a response and get a playback of that conversation (as in a conversation between tower and pilot). Do you think Voxpop would serve in this way?

      and thanks for reminding us about voxpop ... ah mail just in from Fernanda ...

      Vance

      On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM, 'Teresa Almeida d'Eca' teresadeca@... [evonline2002_webheads] <evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Vance!

      I think that Voxopop.com may do the trick. I usually describe it as an audio forum where you have a stream of audio recordings that can play with/without interruption. HTH.

      Hugs,  Teresa

      On Saturday, August 23, 2014, Vance Stevens vancestev@... [evonline2002_webheads] <evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Here's an interesting challenge. My colleagues and I teach pilots how to listen to and respond to control towers. We want to design materials where the control tower says something and the pilot can record a response, the tower says something else, the pilot records a response, all in one interface.

      The interface I have in mind is much like an old language lab where audio comes in on one track and the student records on another (the student hears the prompt, presses record, records a prompt) At the end the student can seamlessly play back both tracks to see what s/he sounded like.

      Now this should be in one interface, so it needs to be an audio tool with a gap that the student records in and can play it back seconds later.

      I know this can be done in Audacity but it's a little messy and requires students to use some degree of tech skills to manipulate the audacity interface (I know, they will be flying planes, you would think... <snip snip>).

      Would anyone happen to know of a free tool that can more faithfully emulate that language lab functionality?

      --
      Sent from my iPhone

      __

      .