31103RE: Webheads in Action (WiA) and EFL/ ESL Teachers’ Professional Development

  • bostancioglu1987
    May 9, 2014

      Dear Members (A.K.A. Webheads),

      My name is Ali Bostancioglu and I am a doctoral student in the Department of Education at the University of York, UK. I am working under the guidance of Dr. Zöe Handley on my PhD project which investigates English language teachers’ professional development.

      I am a member of the Webheads in Action (WiA) community. The WiA community relates to my research topic, which investigates the impact of engaging in online communities of practice on English language teachers’ professional development. I am investigating Webheads’ (such as yourself) experiences and views of the WiA community in order to understand the nature of participation in an online community of practice. I am intending to recruit both OLD and NEW members. I really hope that you will be able to help me with this small but potentially useful project. If you agree to participate in my project, you will receive a report on the findings of this case study of the WiA community.

      You are kindly asked to fill in a ten-minute online questionnaire, the link is provided below. Participation is voluntary and you reserve the right to withdraw at any time. The ethical procedures set by the University of York have been followed in the present research and ethical clearance has been received. The data from the interview and questionnaire will be handled according to data protection guidelines. The data will be securely stored in a password protected electronic research file. All the data gathered will be anonymized. Therefore, you will not be identified in any presentations or publications which may result from this study.

      If you wish to participate in the study please follow the instructions provided in the questionnaire link: http://bit.ly/Webheadsurvey

      If you have any questions or comments, please contact me (ab1007@...) in the first instance. If you are not satisfied with my response, you can contact Dr. Emma Marsden (emma.marsden@...) who is the Chair of Ethics Committee in the Department of Education at the University of York.

      Yours Sincerely

      Ali Bostancioglu

      University of York

      Department of Education

      PhD in Education
      Adress: 2nd Floor Berrick Saul Building, University of York,
                  York, United Kningdom
                  YO10 5DD