22846Re: asking for training material for teachers

  • vidazorko
    Jul 6 7:02 AM
      Hi Violeta,

      I've had a few workshops for secondary school/university teachers of English and here are my suggestions:

      Number of participants: optimum number 12 or less, maximum 16.

      Content: our participants seemed to be interested in wikis, blogs, Google Reader, Hot Potatoes, Moodle, available online resources such as dictionaries, lessons, concordancers, videos... Many needed basic knowledge on how to use their browser, create a list of favourites...

      Teamwork: it's good if you are not alone. I've always prepared and carried out workshops with a team of teachers (one of them is Sasha, a dear colleague and an active Webhead). This has proved to be very inspiring and exciting. It helps a lot if there are more of you when the participants are trying out the tools because usually more of them need help at the same time. If you are alone, try to find a 2.0-savvy teacher to help you out.

      Workshop structure: it's good to divide your workshop into two parts: your input and their practice. In the input part you show them the tool and its pedagogical potential. In the pactice part, the participants do the tasks that you assign, ask questions, try out the tool etc. working at their own pace. You walk around and give support. Teresa suggested that participants work in groups of 3-4, which is also very good because better participants get opportunity to revise what they have learned by explaining it to others.

      Participants' experience with online tools: finding out in advance about their experience with online tools is recommended. The only problem may be participants' subjective perceptions. I remember one of our participants who considered herself to be a complete beginner although she had delivered classes in Moodle and used many web 2.0 programmes. I guess you'll most likely have participants with mixed abilities so I'd suggest that in the practice part of your workshop everyone works according to their interests and abilities. For example, in our workshops on wikis, the weaker participants practiced writing text and saving it, the skilled ones practised adding pictures and hyperlinks, and the advanced ones added video, tables, search facility... They all benefited and went home with ideas for their own wikis.

      Good luck with the workshops!
      Saludos de Eslovenia,
      Vida