What Is Evolutionary Psychology: Explaining the New Science of the Mind (Darwinism Today)

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2001
      What Is Evolutionary Psychology: Explaining the New Science of the Mind
      (Darwinism Today)
      by Leda Cosmides, John Tooby, Helena Cronin (Editor), Oliver Curry (Editor)
      This item will be published in January 2001. You may order it now and we will
      ship it to you when it arrives.
      Hardcover - 64 pages (January 2001)
      Yale Univ Pr; ISBN: 0300083092
      AMAZON - US
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300083092/darwinanddarwini/
      AMAZON - UK
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300083092/humannaturecom/

      Book Description

      The human mind, according to the exciting new discipline called evolutionary
      psychology, was designed by natural selection to solve the problems faced by
      our hunter-gatherer ancestors. In this book, two pioneers in the field explain
      evolutionary psychology, its main findings and conclusions, and its agenda for
      future research. They show how this powerful approach can change the way we
      look at reasoning, emotions, motivation, and other mysteries of human nature.
      Darwinism Today Series Editors: Helena Cronin and Oliver Curry

      From the Inside Flap

      There really is a universal human nature, and the aim of evolutionary
      psychology is to discover it. According to this bold new approach, the mind was
      designed by natural selection to solve the problems faced by our
      hunter-gatherer ancestors. As a result, it is no blank slate. The mind is a
      collection of tools, each specialized for solving a different ancestral
      problem. From recognizing faces to falling in love, or acquiring a language to
      reciprocating favors, evolutionary psychology is at last unraveling the mystery
      of what it means to be human.Here two pioneers of the field, Leda Cosmides and
      John Tooby, explain the science behind the headlines. They outline the
      intellectual framework of this exciting new discipline, describe its main
      findings and conclusions, and set out an agenda for future research. The result
      is a powerful and pervasive perspective on the evolution of human nature, which
      changes how we look at reasoning, the emotions, motivation, and even
      aesthetics.

      About the Author

      Leda Cosmides and John Tooby codirect the Center for Evolutionary Psychology
      and are professors of psychology and anthropology at the University of
      California, Santa Barbara. They are editors of The Adapted Mind: Evolutionary
      Psychology and the Generation of Culture, a book that helped launch the new
      field. In 1999-2000 they were awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial
      Fellowship.