postcranial skeleton of the basal Middle Jurassic tetanurine theropod Monolophosaurus

  • Stephan Pickering
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      Zhao Xi-Jin, R.B.J. Benson, S.L. Brusatte, P.J. Currie, 2009. The postcranial skeleton of Monolophosaurus jiangi (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Middle Jurassic of Xinjiang, China, and a review of Middle Jurassic Chinese theropods. Geological Magazine  IN PRESS. ABSTRACT. The Middle Jurassic was a critical time in the evolution of theropod dinosaurs, highlighted by the origination and radiation of the large-bodied and morphologically diverse Tetanurae. Middle Jurassic tetanurans are rare but have been described from Europe, South America and China. In particular, China has yielded a number of potential basal tetanurans, but these have received little detailed treatment in the literature. Here we redescribe the postcranial skeleton of one of the most complete Chinese Middle Jurassic theropods, Monolophosaurus. Several features confirm the tetanuran affinities of Monolophosaurus, but the possession of ‘primitive’ traits such as a double-faceted pubic peduncle of the ilium and a hood-like supracetabular crest suggest a basal position within Tetanurae. This conflicts with most published cladistic analyses that place Monolophosaurus in a more derived position within Allosauroidea. We review the Middle Jurassic record of Chinese theropods and compare Monolophosaurus to other Middle Jurassic theropods globally. These comparisons suggest that Monolophosaurus and Chuandongocoelurus formed an endemic theropod clade limited to the Middle Jurassic of Asia. Other Middle Jurassic Chinese theropods deserve further study.
      STEPHAN PICKERING / Chofetz Chayim ben-Avraham

      THE DINOSAUR FRACTALS PROJECT

      2333 Portola Drive # 4

      Santa Cruz, California 95062-4250
      stephanpickering@...

      IN PROGRESS: Mutanda Dinosaurologica: in memory of Samuel Paul Welles (9
      November 1909--6 August 1997)

      IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering, 23
      January 1949--24 August 2008

      IN PROGR ESS: Alfred Russel Wallace's KING KONG: the semio ptics of W illis O'
      Brien

      PARTNER IN THE UNIVERSE TO: FALINE PICKERING, MY BELOVED QUANTUM AQUARIUS

      MEMBER 13853: SOCIETY OF VERTEBRATE PALEONTOLOGY

      One concept corrupts and confuses the others. I am not speaking of the Evil
      whose limited sphere is ethics; I am speaking of the infinite. - - J.L. Borges

      You never know what's comin' for you. Queenie in Eric Roth's The curious case of
      Benjamin Button

      What if G-d didn't say it? -- Bart Ehrman