Re: [evol-psych] Lifelong alimony

  • Michael Lamport Commons
    Message 1 of 50 , May 31, 2009
      I think they are including taking care of kids, shopping and taking kids and grandparent to appointments.

      MLC

      Edgar Owen wrote:

      Steve and Francine,

      Frankly the actual housework load is absolutely trivial and inconsequential. I have a large house and do my own housework and it takes me only a few hours a week at most. I prepare most of my own meals which takes perhaps an hour a day. What is it that wives claim they are doing that takes the same number of hours as a nine to five or more? Surely they can't be serious!

      Edgar

      On May 31, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Steve Moxon wrote:

      Hakim writes "the sexes on average do equal amounts of work during their lifetimes" when she is making a general point in respect of the usual discussion about hours engaged in activity loosely regarded as work, that includes childcare and housework. This is ahead of her explaining the actual nature of housework as 'make work'. That thereby destroys the usual argument. So in this dicsussion the quote Burlingame uses here is out of context.

      The rough equivalent between the sexes of total hours engaged in work or seeming-work activity, inasmuch as it includes all female paid employment -- mostly part-time but also full-time -- also undermines the case re alimony, of course. To the extent that women in the aftermsth of a partnership themselv es work, they have correspondingly less legitimate claim on the income of the ex-partner.

      Steve Moxon (Author of The Woman Racket: The new science explaining how the sexes relate at work, at play and in society. Extracts/info at www.imprint- academic. com/moxon )

      Message 50 of 50 , Jun 6, 2009
        Hi Edgar,

        Try Pubmed or any gerontology text.

        When couples reach retirement age, they often downsize to a condo, a senior apartment, or an assisted living facility. In these situations (and in the case of couples who already live in a condo/apt), most traditional male tasks (e.g., mowing the yard, shoveling snow) are eliminated.

        Men who continue to own a home with a yard may be prevented from doing traditional male tasks because of health problems. In fact all elderly men are cautioned not to shovel snow or do taxing work in the heat.

        Obviously these couples pull the group mean towards women working more than men since laundry, cooking and cleaning still need to be done.

        Often men help with chores that are traditionally considered women's work. You will find quite a few articles on the "feminization of men" in old age.

        As stereotypes of male vs female roles blur and tasks are shared, the disparity should disappear.

        Best,

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

        > Francine,
        >
        > Such feminist tinged generalizations are not good science Francine.
        >
        > What kind of work? Income or non-income producing? How was the amount
        > of work measured, by hours worked, or intensity, or importance? What
        > are your sources for the statement?
        >
        > Did you control for the fact that older women are generally healthier
        > than men of similar age? It would be easy to mislead if there were
        > only 1/2 as many men even able to do any work due to poorer health or
        > even being dead!
        >
        > If it is in fact true did the study consider that perhaps the older
        > women were just gratefully paying back their retired husbands for
        > doing MORE work all their lives to support them so they could live in
        > relative ease and leisure?
        >

        > How about some real science from you for a change....
        >
        > Edgar
        >
        > On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Francine A. Burlingame wrote:

        <snip>