Re: [evol-psych] Seagull goes shopping

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      Dave,

      I apparently live close to you and certainly have seagulls hanging out in the major mall parking lots. Also another thing I've noticed is extremely large daily passages of seagulls deep into the countryside. I'm around 40 miles inland from the seashore. I have no idea where the are going back and forth from but this seems to occur mostly in winter.

      Andy ideas? I don't think there are any large dumps this far out those from NYC are closer to the shore.

      Edgar

      On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:16 PM, VQuest95 wrote:

      I am continually amazed at the intelligence of some birds.

      The seagulls in our area have adopted a new habitat.  Here in the Hudson River valley, flocks of seagulls spend a good deal of time in shopping center parking lots.  Apparently there are enough discarded food items to keep them fed. I  don't know if any of you have see the same thing in your area; I suspect the closeness of the River is necessary.

      Cheers
      Dave Alexander

      In a message dated 04/01/09 10:08:18 Eastern Daylight Time, edgarowen@att. net writes:

      A seagull in Scotland has developed the habit of stealing chips from a neighborhood shop.

      The seagull waits until the shopkeeper isn't looking, and then walks into the store and grabs a snack-size bag of cheese Doritos.

      Once outside, the bag gets ripped open and shared by other birds.

      The seagull's shoplifting started early this month when he first swooped into the store in Aberdeen , Scotland , and helped himself to a bag of chips. Since then, he's become a regular. He always takes the same type of chips.

      Customers have begun paying for the seagull's stolen bags of chips because they think it's so funny!