Radical Simplicity

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
      Radical Simplicity: Living Car-Free and Off The Grid at the Possibility
      Alliance
      <http://planetsave.com/blog/2008/10/01/radical-simplicity-living-car-free-petroleum-free-and-electricity-free-at-the-possibility-alliance/>

      or http://tinyurl.com/4lpz2v

      In the small town of La Plata, Missouri, something of a revolution is
      beginning. A brand new intentional community has recently formed, and
      its aims and message are radical, inspiring, and daring: the Possibility
      Alliance is a completely car-free, petroleum-free, and electricity-free
      community striving to raise a new level of awareness regarding
      sustainable, cooperative, and compassionate living.

      Currently composed of a small handful of members, the Possibility
      Alliance is totally off-the-grid and uses candlelight and wood stoves
      for heating and cooking, and it owns no vehicles. Instead, members use
      bicycles as their main mode of transport. Another of the group’s goals
      is to depend entirely on 100% local food, so that whatever is not grown
      by the community is obtained within a 200 mile radius. The Possibility
      Alliance hosts students, visitors, and guests and provides educational
      workshops free of charge on topics such as permaculture, bicycle
      maintenance, gardening, etc. Although the group might use the term
      “radical simplicity” to describe the lifestyle they have taken on, they
      see it as more of a return to what makes sense for humans living
      harmoniously with the earth.
      <snip>

      We’re so happy with what’s happening now. All of us [living there], in
      our heart level, our big goal is total societal transformation. Our
      vision is that the Possibility Alliance would have something like a
      land-based center in every bioregion of the US to see how can we live in
      this bioregion with a total local diet, no petro input, and as an
      educational center, and also as a service center. So each bioregion
      would have a team of Superheroes going out to serve in emergencies,
      riots, hurricanes [etc.], and for free, which is a big part of the
      Superheroes and the Possibility Alliance, is that we’re based on the
      gift economy. We don’t require fees for what we do. We have probably
      moved over $100,000 in eight years. People give to us and we gift
      projects. The Possibility Alliance’s land was totally paid for in a year
      and a half through people’s donations. They say, wow, it’s so amazing
      that you’re having groups come, you’re teaching permaculture, you’re
      doing all this for free. It’s amazing how when people have a choice to
      give, they give a lot more than what you would even charge them.

      But really, our goal is not societal transformation as we think it
      should be, but the belief that if everyone followed their heart, society
      would be transformed. So how do we support and give people the courage
      to live what’s in their heart? I know everyone sits on a secret dream,
      and there’s a whole spectrum. By helping people to live to their full
      vision, mainstream society will break the fabrics of consumption, people
      will feel whole again, and we believe that what will emerge is a
      healthier society.
    • John Clem
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
        Well, these people will be prepared if the space storm predicted (perhaps) by New Scientist for the equinox of 2012 materializes.

        http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20127001.300-space-storm-alert-90-seconds-from-catastrophe.html

        Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe

        IT IS midnight on 22 September 2012 and the skies above Manhattan are filled with a flickering curtain of colourful light. Few New Yorkers have seen the aurora this far south but their fascination is short-lived. Within a few seconds, electric bulbs dim and flicker, then become unusually bright for a fleeting moment. Then all the lights in the state go out. Within 90 seconds, the entire eastern half of the US is without power.

        A year later and millions of Americans are dead and the nation's infrastructure lies in tatters. The World Bank declares America a developing nation. Europe, Scandinavia, China and Japan are also struggling to recover from the same fateful event - a violent storm, 150 million kilometres away on the surface of the sun.

        It sounds ridiculous. Surely the sun couldn't create so profound a disaster on Earth. Yet an extraordinary report funded by NASA and issued by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in January this year claims it could do just that.

        Over the last few decades, western civilisations have busily sown the seeds of their own destruction. Our modern way of life, with its reliance on technology, has unwittingly exposed us to an extraordinary danger: plasma balls spewed from the surface of the sun could wipe out our power grids, with catastrophic consequences.

        The projections of just how catastrophic make chilling reading. "We're moving closer and closer to the edge of a possible disaster," says Daniel Baker, a space weather expert based at the University of Colorado in Boulder, and chair of the NAS committee responsible for the report.

        It is hard to conceive of the sun wiping out a large amount of our hard-earned progress. Nevertheless, it is possible. The surface of the sun is a roiling mass of plasma - charged high-energy particles - some of which escape the surface and travel through space as the solar wind. From time to time, that wind carries a billion-tonne glob of plasma, a fireball known as a coronal mass ejection (see "When hell comes to Earth"). If one should hit the Earth's magnetic shield, the result could be truly devastating.

        The incursion of the plasma into our atmosphere causes rapid changes in the configuration of Earth's magnetic field which, in turn, induce currents in the long wires of the power grids. The grids were not built to handle this sort of direct current electricity. The greatest danger is at the step-up and step-down transformers used to convert power from its transport voltage to domestically useful voltage. The increased DC current creates strong magnetic fields that saturate a transformer's magnetic core. The result is runaway current in the transformer's copper wiring, which rapidly heats up and melts. This is exactly what happened in the Canadian province of Quebec in March 1989, and six million people spent 9 hours without electricity. But things could get much, much worse than that.
        <snip> Click link for more.

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > projects. The Possibility Alliance's land was totally paid for in a year
        > and a half through people's donations. They say, wow, it's so amazing
        > that you're having groups come, you're teaching permaculture, you're
        > doing all this for free. It's amazing how when people have a choice to
        > give, they give a lot more than what you would even charge them.
        >
        > But really, our goal is not societal transformation as we think it
        > should be, but the belief that if everyone followed their heart, society
        > would be transformed. So how do we support and give people the courage
        > to live what's in their heart? I know everyone sits on a secret dream,
        > and there's a whole spectrum. By helping people to live to their full
        > vision, mainstream society will break the fabrics of consumption, people
        > will feel whole again, and we believe that what will emerge is a

      • Steve Corsini
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
          What's the DATE, TODAY?

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009

            Oh, come on, it's always in New York? And particularly in Manhattan? You Americans seem to see the world from a NY standpoint. I'm tired of seeing movies about impending catastrophes, and it all arrives to NY: extra-terrestrial invasions, tsunamis, nuclear wars... You could vary the city to be less boring.

            At 02:35 01-04-2009, you wrote:

            What's the DATE, TODAY?

            Well, these people will be prepared if the space storm predicted (perhaps)
            by New Scientist for the equinox of 2012 materializes.

            http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20127001.300-space-storm-alert-90-se
            conds-from-catastrophe.html

            Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe

            IT IS midnight on 22 September 2012 and the skies above Manhattan are
            filled with a flickering curtain of colourful light. Few New Yorkers have
            seen the aurora this far south but their fascination is short-lived. Within
            a few seconds, electric bulbs dim and flicker, then become unusually bright
            for a fleeting moment. Then all the lights in the state go out. Within 90
            seconds, the entire eastern half of the US is without power.

          • Robert Karl Stonjek
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009

              Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:43 PM
              Subject: RE: [evol-psych] Re: Radical Simplicity

              Joao Sousa
              Oh, come on, it's always in New York? And particularly in Manhattan? You Americans seem to see the world from a NY standpoint. I'm tired of seeing movies about impending catastrophes, and it all arrives to NY: extra-terrestrial invasions, tsunamis, nuclear wars... You could vary the city to be less boring.

              RKS:
              Now seriously: if you were an alien, where would you look for abundant, plump, tender humans?  If they land in my neck of the woods I'll be explaining that the smart aliens are feeding in New York (I have a map ready, just in case I need to give directions).

              Robert
            • John Clem
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
                Joao,

                This article appeared in a British science mag, the New Scientist.
                Don't blame NYC on the Brits. It was settled by the Dutch.

                But more interesting is that on a WGBH Public TV Station here in Boston, in a program about Nostradamus prophecies, September of 2012 was also determined to be a castrophic cosmic event. The program was concerned with the latest book released, an illustrated book released by the Vatican. It's thought that the son of Nostradamus drew the illustrations.

                From the illustrations more than from any stanza, it seemed to me, the TV program suggested that the catastrophic event will happen when the solar cross lines up with the galactic cross; and the earth, sun and center of the Milky Way are in line, which will happen on the equinoxes of 2012, and maybe also 2011 and 2013.

                Since the solar system is now well out of the plane of the galactic disc, and will be for thousands of years, I am not sure how the program producers decided on September of 2012.

                In addition, this prophecy does not quite agree with the seeming Mayan prophecy, as they ended their calendar on the solistice of 2012 which is thought by some to be the end of days prophecized by St. Paul, or at least the Rapture, which is derived from the scripture where Jesus says of two standing in a field, one will be taken. Posted on 4/1/2009 by John Clem