Re: [evol-psych] University Chairs in Astrology - Science in the Middle Ages

  • Mark Hubey
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
      But they were mathematicians!

      When did they learn to use decimal numerals ?

      Of course astrology was not abolished in Spain, that
      home of modern civilization (or was it Inquisition).

      Doing the same kind of mental correlation some people
      on this list make, and then turning correlation into
      causation, one would/could probably start a movement
      to start burning astrologers :-)

      Edgar Owen wrote:
      > Julienne,
      >
      > This is hilarious! Julienne cites chairs of astrology during a time of
      > rampant superstition in support of astrology! LOL! There were also
      > witch burnings and the inquisition during the middle ages. By her
      > logic she supports those too no doubt? Thankfully our species has at
      > least advanced to the point that astrology is no longer a subject of
      > higher learning. However judging from the recent spate of feminist
      > mumbo jumbo boil and bubble posts there do seem to still be a few
      > witches around that need tending to. :-)
      >

      > Edgar
      >

      > On Feb 1, 2009, at 1:39 AM, Julienne wrote:
      >
      >> http://books.google.com/books?id=M6DHNEGKuGQC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=university+chairs+in+astrology&source=web&ots=U4m0KydkEQ&sig=y5hnIWx91sBHFbBX9l2RAmVYxHg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result
      >> <http://books.google.com/books?id=M6DHNEGKuGQC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=university+chairs+in+astrology&source=web&ots=U4m0KydkEQ&sig=y5hnIWx91sBHFbBX9l2RAmVYxHg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result>
      >>
      >> Science in the Middle Ages - Google Books Result
      >> by David C. Lindberg - 1980 - Science - 596 pages
      >> Municipal governments in the Italian university centers normally
      >> funded a
      >> few salaried chairs in logic, philosophy, astrology, and, at Padua in
      >> the
      >> later ...
      >> books.google.com/books?isbn=0226482332...
      >>
      >> History of Horoscopic Astrology - Google Books Result
      >> by James H. Holden - 2006 - Body, Mind & Spirit - 400 pages
      >> 42The last university to abolish its chair of astrology was the
      >> University
      >> of Salamanca in Spain- in the early 19th century! ...
      >> books.google.com/books?isbn=0866904638...
      >>
      >> Anything that we have to learn we learn by the doing of it...we
      >> become just
      >> by performing just acts, temperate by performing temperate ones,
      >> brave by
      >> performing brave ones. Aristotle
      >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >> Join us at Chaos-stars@yahoogroups.com
      >> <mailto:Chaos-stars%40yahoogroups.com> for in depth discussion of
      >> world events
      >> Julienne's Blog: http://www.myspace.com/youandthecosmos
      >> <http://www.myspace.com/youandthecosmos>
      >> Radio: "You and the Cosmos" Tuesdays, 4:30 pm EDST
      >> http://whrwfm.org/listenlive.php <http://whrwfm.org/listenlive.php>

      H.M. Hubey
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
        Julienne,

        Look at the title of this thread which you originated - it specifically says Middle Ages. Just whose grasp of history is weak?

        Where is the inquisition now that we need it?

        Edgar

        On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Julienne wrote:

        At 07:46 AM 2/1/2009 -0500, Edgar Owen wrote:

        Julienne,

        This is hilarious! Julienne cites chairs of astrology during a time of rampant superstition in support of astrology! LOL! There were also witch burnings and the inquisition during the middle ages. By her logic she supports those too no doubt? Thankfully our species has at least advanced to the point that astrology is no longer a subject of higher learning. However judging from the recent spate of feminist mumbo jumbo boil and bubble posts there do seem to still be a few witches around that need tending to. :-)

        You call the 19th century "the middle ages" Edgar?

        Your grasp of history seems as weak as your understanding of sexuality.

        He who pretends to understand women's sexuality calls women "witches"?

        Of course that's not funny - just pathetic.

        But mockery is so often the last refuge of the ignorant and impotent.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
          Edgar,

          Big boys don't just read headlines - they are able to read whole big books!

          Dame thing with sex, Edgar - big boys make love with big girls.
          Maybe if you improve your reading skills, your lovemaking skills
          will mature similarly.

          Your local library has books for big boys.

          At 09:41 AM 2/1/2009 -0500, Edgar Owen wrote:
          Julienne,

          Look at the title of this thread which you originated - it specifically says Middle Ages. Just whose grasp of history is weak?

          Yours.

          It was Hubey who brought astrology into the conversation - guess
          you can't read his big words yet, either.

          Where is the inquisition now that we need it?

          Try Googling it.

          Join us at Chaos-stars@yahoogroups.com for in depth discussion of world events