News: US women office-workers prefer computers to men

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21 1:50 AM
      US women office-workers prefer computers to men: study

      Nearly all American women office workers say they like or love this major player in their lives, even if it causes many of them pain, a study showed Monday.

      But they aren't talking about their partner, family, a friend or even personal trainer -- they're talking about their computer.

      An online poll of more than 2,600 US adults conducted by Harris Interactive showed that women office workers spend nearly triple the amount of time with their computer as they do with their significant other -- 9.3 hours with the disk drive and keyboard compared with 3.6 hours with their human partner.

      And only one in five of the women said she wished she could spend more time with her partner than with her computer, even if the latter caused them pain, often in the form of carpal tunnel syndrome, according to the poll.

      Nearly two-thirds spend more time with their computer than they do shopping or outdoors, eight in 10 spend more time with the tower and screen than do exercising, and four in 10 are with the computer more than with their family.

      That is understandable, given that the 8.2 hours spent on average by Americans at work make up the largest slice of the pie chart for time use on an work day for employed persons, aged 25 to 54, with children, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

      The second biggest allotment of time goes to sleep -- 7.6 hours -- according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

      © 2008 AFP

      Posted by
      Robert Karl Stonjek
    • Roy Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31 10:51 AM
        While I'm dubious of the worth of such a poll considering that it was
        online (I have a suspicion that people who take online polls are
        probably the most technologically-oriented to begin with), I note it
        doesn't reference ages. I can't help but think that it ties in with
        the article I just posted: "Article: Almost half of women have sexual
        problems"