Re: [evol-psych] Marvin Harris and Chagnon

  • Timothy Mason
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2000
      Ralph Holloway cites Marvin Harris as saying he has no
      sympathy for Chagnon. He was reported as saying this, but it
      was well before the present furore, and was in the context
      of Chagnon's being declared persona-non-grata in Yanomami
      territory after his run-in with the missionaires. Perhaps it
      would be well not to indulge in more smearing - intentional
      or unintentional - than has already occurred.

      Dr. Holloway also seems to deplore the attitude of the
      Sunday Telegraph, whose editor refused to publish an article
      unless it demonstrated that there had been skullduggery by
      the anthropologists. This seems to me to be responsible
      journalism ; why would they want to publish a story about
      there being no story? Unless the fact that academics are
      capable of hysteria and silliness is so astonishing as to
      make the front page ...

      Best wishes

      Timothy Mason
    • Ralph L Holloway
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2000
        On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Timothy Mason wrote:

        > Ralph Holloway cites Marvin Harris as saying he has no
        > sympathy for Chagnon. He was reported as saying this, but it
        > was well before the present furore, and was in the context
        > of Chagnon's being declared persona-non-grata in Yanomami
        > territory after his run-in with the missionaires. Perhaps it
        > would be well not to indulge in more smearing - intentional
        > or unintentional - than has already occurred.

        Mason is absolutely right, as the piece posted by Ian was dated Jan30,
        2000. My apologies. However, I still regard Marvin Harris as a bastard and
        will never apologize to that monster.

        > Dr. Holloway also seems to deplore the attitude of the
        > Sunday Telegraph, whose editor refused to publish an article
        > unless it demonstrated that there had been skullduggery by
        > the anthropologists. This seems to me to be responsible
        > journalism ; why would they want to publish a story about
        > there being no story? Unless the fact that academics are
        > capable of hysteria and silliness is so astonishing as to
        > make the front page ...

        You misinterpret me here. The issue is well worth coverage, and I
        interpreted the response to be that only genocide merited attention.
        Needless to say, they didn't offer to write a article indicating that some
        journalists may have erred...

        Ralph L. Holloway
        Dept. Anthropology
        Columbia University