Law is evolution at its highest levels for adjusting a society to complex problems, it also means all solutions are tenative.

  • Ronald C. Blue
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 30, 2008
      As an Australian I am not that familiar with the US Constitution so ,
      Does the constitution say you have a right to ammunition ?
      Shouldn't you be limited to smoothbore black powder flintlock muskets ala
      1776?
      Does the constitution say you have a right to bear guns or to bear arms,
      like swords axes machetes spears bows and arrows ?
      Law is evolution at its highest levels for adjusting a society to complex problems, it also means all solutions are tentative.

      Law is like a logic system. No ammunition defacto means it is not an arm. A child does not have the right to bear an arm. Permission required means a restriction placing a limit on the right to bear arms.

      Consider this... Arms registration was required in France. When the Nazi invaded France they when straight to the court house and informed everyone they had to turn in their register firearm. Failure to comply meant death without a trail. The lack of firearms meant that the Nazi were in total control.

      The right to bear arms can be removed from the constitution with a constitutional amendment. So due process remains in effect.

      The Russians had the best Constitution in the world. The Constitution was to convey a utopian perfect world idea, not a real world legal document. Ultimately people started to believe it was true. This lead to problems.

      In America the Constitution is the codified law that is higher than the President, Congress, or Judicial decision at lower levels.

      It is not a perfect system. Andrew Jackson had American Indians forcible removed from the lands and sent to concentration camps in Oklahoma. When the lawyers for the Cherokees appealed the decision of the President to the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court agreed with the American Indians. The President said you have make the decision now enforce it.

      The Supreme Court did not have the power to enforce its decision so half of the Cherokees were murder on the way to concentration camp. Legally Congress could have impeached the President. But instead Andrew Jackson was viewed as one of the greatest American Presidents. This is similar to the popularity of Adolph Hitler as he worked on his popular program of the final solution to the Jewish question. If Germany had finished it nuclear weapons research his picture would now be on the international currency just as Jackson is on the US twenty dollar bill.

      Power is the ability to accomplish your will over the will of another. The president of a major corporation refused to negotiate with a union and started firing union workers. The next day the president of the major corporation died in a car bomb. The next president decided to negotiate and the strike ended. Power is used best when not used. Each day heavy armed American decide not to vote with their firearms. Wise politicians decide not to provoke its citizens into an armed attack on the government. We call this balance of power and due process. The law is slow but better than violence.

      Wars contrary to popular opinions are not good for business. Remembering that change is permanent helps you to understand that balance and growth is better than your personal death. A person who is not willing to die for freedom is already a slave. The average American is willing to die for freedom, but sadly the average American does not understand that the lost of freedom for a select group means that he has lost some of his freedom.

      In diversity, tolerance, and freedom there is great strength for a people.

      Ron Blue
    • Eric S. Harris
      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 10, 2008
        Francine A. Burlingame wrote:

        >"A well regulated Militia,
        >

        >>>being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the
        >>>people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
        >>>

        >F Burlingame:
        >
        >Keep in mind that this statement concerns a "well-regulated" militia
        >(not disorganized citizens), and that the term "the people" most
        >often refers to the "body of people", not individuals. When referring
        >to individuals, the term "citizens" is generally used because it is
        >more restrictive.

        What if the citizens are not disorganized? (Not a facetious question,
        by the way. Have you visited any of the "Battle of Athens" sites that
        Google lists, yet?
        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mcminn+athens+battle&btnG=Google+Search
        <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mcminn+athens+battle&btnG=Google+Search>)

        >So...In the spirit of being "well-regulated", members of the militia
        >should have the right to keep/bear arms that have been issued to them
        >by the state during the time of their service to the state.

        The meaning of the word "militia" at the time of the writing of the Bill
        of Rights was not as described above. -Eric

        --
        If eric_harris_76@... or eric_harris_76@... ever fail,
        you can reach me at my new addr using http://ecoa.returnpath.net/finder