Re: [evol-psych] Moxon on TV

  • Mark Hubey
    Message 1 of 98 , Mar 1, 2008
      Robert Karl Stonjek wrote:

      > *RKS:*
      > Let's summarise Steve's points regarding /the majority/ of prostitutes:-
      > *1)* Prostitution is easy money;

      If it is illegal, then the supply is low and likely the price is high
      meaning "easy money". If she can get $1,000 for one hour, would she wash dishes for a week? Of course, this assumes there are no other forces at work e.g. ethical, shame, guilt, etc. In that case sex has to be just like food, or flipping burgers.

      > *2)* Prostitution is a means by which one can change one's lifestyle
      > (implication is /for the better/)

      It can be called a lifestyle, especially if it is considered
      revolutionary, e.g. saving wimmin kind and
      the rest of humanity from their deep dark slumbers of stupidity!

      > *3)* prostitutes can't be bothered to earn money by regular means;

      Supply and Demand. Rewards (money) vs Pain (jail, reproach, guilt,
      shame...).

      > *4)* It is the ease and speed of earning that is attractive;

      See above.

      > *5)* prostitution will "facilitate moving in the social circles of
      > higher status men".

      If she is great looking and there is no shame/guilt etc, then they'd be
      rubbing shoulders with the
      upper crusts just like models, and acresses.

      Who would pay for a street walker if he can get a movie star? or a
      top-notch model?

      H.M. Hubey
    • Zaphod Beeblebrox
      Message 98 of 98 , Jun 2, 2008

        Traditionalist-Conservative dystopias were/are brought to us, courtesy of the  utopianists who did/do not know that they did/do not know what these fantasies would have/have brought to us.