female advantage in recall of object locations using ecologically valid methods

  • Nick Neave
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      A few months ago, I posted the results of some research conducted by our
      group in which we attempted to devise ecologically-valid methods to address
      predictions generated by the 'Division of Labour Model' / 'Gathering
      Hypothesis'. We found some support for a female advantage in the recognition
      of plants within a naturalistic array but did not include measures of
      location memory or the incidental recall of plant targets. Quite a few of
      the group requested further information and provided some excellent
      feedback.

      In light of that feedback we have just completed another study using
      ecologically-valid methods in which we did address measures of location
      memory and incidental recall. We found that females were significantly
      faster at locating plants within an array following a variable delay, but no
      evidence of a female advantage for the incidental recall of targets.

      If anyone wants further details I have preapred a summary sheet which I can
      attach as requested.

      We have just submitted these findings (along with data from our first
      study)and I will let the group know where and when it will be published (if
      accepted).

      I look forward to further constructive and helpful suggestions, plus
      piercing questions.

      cheers,

      Dr. Nick Neave
      Human Cognitive Neuroscience Unit