Paper: Diversity as a product of inter-specific interactions

  • Stephan Pickering
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      Daniel Lawson, H.F. Jensen, Kunihiko Kaneko, 2007/8. Diversity as a product of inter-specific interactions. Jour. Theoretical Biology IN PRESS. ABSTRACT. We demonstrate diversification rather than optimization for highly interacting organisms in a well-mixed biological system by means of a simple model of coevolution. We find the cause to be the complex network of interactions formed, allowing species that are less well adapted to an environment to succeed, instead of the 'best' species. This diversification can be considered as the construction of many coevolutionary niches by tghe network of interactions between species. The model predictions are discussed in relation to experimental work on dense communities of the bacteria Escherichia coli, which may coexist with their own mutants under certain conditions. We find that diversification only occurs above a certain threshold interaction strength, below which competitive exclusion occurs.
      Reference Base
      IN PROGRESS; Mutanda Dinosaurologica: in memory of Samuel Paul Welles
      (9  November 1909--6 August 1997)
      IN PROGRESS: Alfred Russel Wallace's KING KONG: the semioptics of Willis O'Brien
      PARTNER IN THE UNIVERSE TO: NANCYGENE SCOTT, MY BELOVED QUANTUM PISCES
      Member 13853: SOCIETY OF VERTEBRATE PALEONTOLOGY

    • mkirkaldy
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Stephan Pickering"
        <stephanpickering@...> wrote:

        > Daniel Lawson, H.F. Jensen, Kunihiko Kaneko, 2007/8. Diversity as a
        > product of inter-specific interactions. Jour. Theoretical Biology IN
        > PRESS.

        This reference is a year out of date--the paper was published in
        December of 2006:

        Diversity as a product of inter-specific interactions
        Journal of Theoretical Biology, Volume 243, Issue 3, 7 December 2006,
        Pages 299-307
        Daniel Lawson, Henrik Jeldtoft Jensen and Kunihiko Kaneko

        We demonstrate diversification rather than optimization for highly
        interacting organisms in a well-mixed biological system by means of a
        simple model of coevolution. We find the cause to be the complex
        network of interactions formed, allowing species that are less well
        adapted to an environment to succeed, instead of the `best' species.
        This diversification can be considered as the construction of many
        coevolutionary niches by the network of interactions between species.
        The model predictions are discussed in relation to experimental work
        on dense communities of the bacteria Escherichia coli, which may
        coexist with their own mutants under certain conditions. We find that
        diversification only occurs above a certain threshold interaction
        strength, below which competitive exclusion occurs.

        Pdf available at:
        http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=657228589&_sort=d&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=6423b3acf2dcb601016c122968e938e0&view=f

        Mary Kirkaldy