Re: [evol-psych] Re: The Logic of War, was Warfare as cooperative behavior?

  • Haci-Murat Hubey
    Message 1 of 240 , Oct 1 11:35 AM
      The whole concept "natural" does not meaningfully apply in most cases
      in which that word is used.

      If the word means "capable of", then whatever we are capable of is natural.

      If it has some moral tinge, then we should stick to discussion of morality,
      and explain why it is moral or immoral.

      Empress9@... wrote:
      Julienne -

      >>Violence isn't natural, nor is it virtuous, no matter
      how one cloaks it in science, logic, sacrifice, or
      valour. The only brave ones are the poor kids sent
      to be sacrificed, as Moses was willing to sacrifice
      his son, for the sins of the adults
      <<

      How can you proclaim that violence isn't natural? The evidence is everywhere (including Animal Planet). I belive you have previously stated that you would become quite violent in defence of your children - a perfectly natural response in my opinion.

      Do you believe that little boys wouldn't form teams in play unless directed so by adults? I don't.

      Nancy Bovee

      **************************************
      See what's new at http://www.aol.com
      Message 240 of 240 , Oct 6 9:40 AM
        At 09:33 AM 10/6/2007 -0400, Mark Hubey wrote:

        1) Maybe they had female liberation back then too
        2) He said "the first person"(...)

        So now the story can be understood in a more sophisticated mode, e.g.
        everyone can be sacrificed (e.g. war)
        for the good of the whole (e.g. nation). We have gone back to
        sacrificing young males again. IT was tried again
        in modern Israel (drafting females and sending them to the front) and
        they gave up on it very quickly. For one
        thing, if the opposing fighters knew they were fighting females they
        refused to give up no matter what, so they
        caused even more problems. First there was the shame of surrendering to
        females, then there was the fruits of victory if they won!

        There are U.S. females being murdered in this attack
        on Iraq.

        Julienne

        Cling to the Wreckage - Barry Sonnenfeld
        Julienne's Blog: www.myspace.com/youandthecosmos. New Blog: Addiction
        Radio: "You and the Cosmos" WHRWFM.org, 90.5 FM, 4:30pm, EDST, Wednesdays
        Join us at EvolPsych@yahoogroups.com