Re: [evol-psych] Re: Circumcision related to female orgasm potential?

    Message 1 of 71 , May 1, 2007
      Ms. Artemis,

      As far as I know, in all cases it is men, not women who perform circumcision (with the modern exception if the dr. happens to be a woman which has no bearing on the issue). It is a male ritual of patriarchal societies. Women have nothing to do with it. I believe it occurs for the reasons stated in my previous post.

      Edgar

      On May 1, 2007, at 1:07 AM, artemistroy wrote:

      At some time in the distant evolutionary past, some females selected
      for reduced male sexual aggression so that they could rechannel it to
      other pursuits which proved to be beneficial to offspring, such as
      voluntary male provisioning, for example. But they had to first
      understand the male's role in reproduction and how male behavior
      affected outcomes.

      Steve Moxon asserts that circumcision denudes sexual pleasure, but
      how would females know that? Did they experiment on male animals
      first? We just don't know how they figured this all out, but they did.

      Assume, first, that females had total control over their offspring
      and could do with them what they pleased. Males, historically, are
      disinterested in female reproductive biology, or fear and avoid it.
      All sorts of superstitions have surrounded it. This aversion made it
      possible for females to invent intentional fertility control.

      Females had every opportunity to invent and test methods to control
      and modify male sexual aggression.

      None of it happened in the wink of an eye; it was an ongoing battle
      and still is.

      I agree with Steve Moxon's analysis--it is the females who are in
      charge. Otherwise there would be no need for males to work so hard to
      suppress and repress female behavior which is focused on controlling
      the male's.

      Feminism has done a great disservice to thousands/millions of years
      of female selection criteria. Do they think it was a piece of cake
      getting males to share their provisions? Not.

      Artemis

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen
      <edgarowen@...> wrote:

      > Ms. Artemis,
      >
      > You've lost me here with seemingly unconnected arguments. I was
      > referring to male led societies which do perform circumcision,
      likely
      > for the reasons I specified. Jewish society is certainly a
      > patriarchal society. It is not considered mutilation of course, but
      > 'sacred rite'.
      >
      > Eunuchs were not produced to control population growth. There were
      > never nearly enough to make a dent in population growth, and
      > population growth was encouraged at most times. You should read 'A
      > short history of castration' to get your facts straight.
      >
      > Edgar
      >

      > On Apr 30, 2007, at 7:30 PM, artemistroy wrote:

      <snip>

      Message 71 of 71 , May 9, 2007
        At 02:24 PM 4/30/2007 +0100, steve moxon wrote:
        This would be classic Freudian cod-psychology.
        We know that we can't recall incidents from when we were babies.
        We know that the Freudian theory of 'repression' is false, or at the very least that there is no evidence for what is in any case implausible.
        Ergo ego is not the product of infant forsekin loss!

        I don't know who your royal "we" is, but I certainly
        disagree with you, and so do many others. I can tell
        at what age babyhood trauma occurs. Whether or not the
        adult remembers, the trauma is laid down in the brain.
        There are also psychological clues which can indicate
        rough ages of childhood trauma.