Re: [evol-psych] Sexual Threats Stifle Some Female Bloggers

  • Haci-Murat Hubey
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007
      artemistroy wrote:
      > Sexual Threats Stifle Some Female Bloggers
      >

      > Arianna Huffington, whose Huffington Post site is among the most
      > prominent of blogs founded by women, said anonymity online has
      > allowed "a lot of those dark prejudices towards women to surface."
      > Her site takes a "zero tolerance" policy toward abusive and
      > excessively foul language, and employs moderators "24/7" to filter
      > the comments, she said.

      Maybe males had to live with real threats all their lives that they
      don't care much about this.

      How often do women get beaten up in the streets?

      > Two factors can contribute to the vitriol, experts said: blogging in
      > a male-dominated field, such as technology, and achieving a degree of
      > prominence.

      Which field is this?

      I doubt that anybody in technology would try to muzzle females for any
      reason.

      > Susan Herring, a professor of information science at Indiana
      > University, said each new online venue has been greeted with optimism
      > because the early adopters tend to be educated, socially conscious
      > people who think the form engenders community. Even as recently as
      > 2003, she said, it was relatively rare to find negativity on blogs.
      >
      > Now, she said, blogs risk becoming "nastified," at least in the
      > comment zones.
      >
      > Kathleen Cooper, the single mother, said she began to experience
      > harassment about five years ago after she posted a retort on a
      > friend's blog to a random blogger's threat against a friend. The
      > harasser began posting defamatory accusations on Cooper's site, on
      > his blog and then on a site that purports to track "bad businesses."
      > He said that he could not be responsible for what "his minions" might
      > do to her, she said.
      >
      > Cooper, 37, who lives in Sarasota, Fla., has tried password-
      > protecting her site. She and five other women have asked the man's
      > Web site server to shut him down, but he revives his site with
      > another server. Law enforcement officials laugh it off, she
      > said, "like 'Oh, it's not a big deal. It's just online talk. Nobody's
      > going to come get you.' "

      You should read back to 1990s and see what was happening in political
      fights on the USENET.

      This has nothing to do with being female.

      Check Dejanews for Usenet newsgroups of the type soc.culture.X or
      talk.politics.Y where
      X may be turkish, greek, etc. and where Y may be things like mideast, etc.