Re: [evol-psych] Re: Consciousness

  • Joao Sousa
    Message 1 of 54 , Jul 31, 2006
      At 07:54 31-07-2006 +0000, you wrote:

      >Jeremy Bowman: imagine a "transporter" that sends your molecules
      >through space and perfectly re-constructs them at the other end. What
      >if it builds an exact molecule-by-molecule replica of you at the other
      >location, using numerically different but exactly the same kinds of
      >particles?
      >
      >Joao Sousa: No problem. The same me continues living and remembers his
      >past.
      >
      >Jeremy Bowman: What makes you so sure you don't die during this
      >process, and a mere surrogate you begins life complete with memories
      >like yours? Being dead is a bit of a problem, isn't it?
      >
      >Joao Sousa: I don't understand where is the problem. [...] The 2
      >survivors will have my memories, will be me, because these memories
      >are stored in the physical structure, which you assume were perfectly
      >copied. For example, both of them will remember the face of my mother
      >like me, and remember their identity card number. What's the problem?
      >
      >Jeremy Bowman: The main problem is that it's very hard to say which
      >circumstances entail the death of the original you, and which do not.
      >Which of the various "transportation" methods are equivalent to going
      >to sleep and not waking up? Let's assume it's bad for you to go to
      >sleep and not to wake up, even if someone just like you does wake up.
      >Which forms of transportation are bad for you?
      >
      >The initial temptation is to identify one's "self" with the exact
      >arrangement of one's molecules. But that can't be right, because one's
      >consciousness must "reside" in exactly one brain.

      I disagree. The concept of "one's consciousness" is an illusion! The
      feeling of self is just another Qualia, another sentient feeling like the
      others (a very adaptive one). I would prefer to conceptualize consciousness
      as a constant flow of atomized sentient feelings coming in. I prefer to
      think this way: if I feel a pinprick, first *there was a pinprick*, and
      *the feeling of pinprick was created* in my organism; some miliseconds
      later, a cascade of other feelings followed, among them, those that related
      all things to Self, producing, so to speak: "I'm here in this place, that
      bush is there, and I felt a pinprick". Dennett argues in these lines.

      So, I don't see a problem in your thought experiment. The two surviving
      organism copies will continue to live their life, feeling pinpricks, and
      producing the same illusions of Self ("I'm feeling a pinprick") that the
      previous one had.
    • mark hubey
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 3, 2012

        http://www.biolbull.org/content/215/3/216.full.pdf

        Mark Hubey

        ‎"Learning to think in mathematical terms is an essential part of becoming a liberally educated person. "
        -- Kenyon College Math Department Web Page