Re: [evol-psych] Re: Evolutionary benefit of schizophrenia?

  • Joao Sousa
    Message 1 of 63 , Jul 2 5:26 PM

      At 22:17 29-06-2006 -0600, you wrote:
      Joao Sousa:I prefer explanations that grant the overwhelming presence of defects / disease / bad outcomes, than explanations purely based on adaptation and function. This seem to be the case of Jay's nocturnal theory and to the group-splitting theory.

      Jay R. Feierman: Joao, the diseases of the nervous system that are caused by bad genetic mutations have demonstrable neuropathology, as these mutations cause structural change in tissue or biochemical changes in bodily fluids. The fact that schizophrenia has no demonstrable neurpathology is why a number of different individuals have theorized that the genetic determinants of Schizophrenia are not harmful mutations.

      I'm surprised by that; I've read that in the 1980s and early 1990s, but am not updated on this issue, I didn't expect that this finding (the apparent absence of neuropathology in schizophrenia) would survive the Neurosciences revolution of the 1990s.

    • Ligesh
      Message 63 of 63 , Jul 6 12:13 PM
        On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:22:08PM -0600, Jay R. Feierman wrote:
        > I can't tell whether H.M Hubey, Ligesh or Joao Sousa wrote this but whoever did, it is misrepresenting what I have posted.

        In that case you haven't addressed the two points:

        a) Artists display behaviour that can be classified as schizphrenia-like. Artists are also a group who have above average fitness. This is an empirical finding, and I had posted the url to this particular study.

        b) Voices in the head--another schizphrenia-like symptom--can be highly adaptive. These people become the prophets, which is actually an high fitness position in the society.

        So how do you address the above two issues?

        --
        :: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com