Re: Evolutionary benefit of schizophrenia?

  • Pierre Tremblay
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2006
      Greetings Jay!

      If you are familar with Kinsey's 1948 work, you will
      remember that 37% of males reporting having sex to
      orgasm with another male after the age of 15 years,
      but that is an average. Furthermore, the male
      groupings reporting the most homo-sex were in two
      categories: educated from grades 9 to 12, and Roman
      Catholic! Well, I grew up in a place where both
      applied, as a rule. I was also never condemned for
      enjoying homo-sex by Roman Catholic priests (n = about
      20) when I confessed these 'sins'! In fact, enjoying
      homosex was not perceived as being any worse than
      telling a little lie!

      For others to learn about the existence of such
      widespread male homosexuality in the not so distant
      past in North America, I placed this book published
      part of my life on the internet and added notes to
      better explain the situation. It is located here and I
      hope you like the title of the web page:

      http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/adams.htm#100c

      You may also appreciate to see how this information
      fits into a narrative related to what has been
      happening to male homosexuality in North America in
      the past 75 years. Please read at least the first two
      part of this interim paper:

      http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/construction/

      These part:

      1. Sexual Orientation: Binaries, Definitions, and
      Research Problems.

      2. Male Homosexuality: From Common to a Rarity.

      The original "invited" paper - presented at the San
      Diego State University in 2000 - presented the idea
      that #2 was associated/responsible for a massive
      increase in suicidality for homosexually oriented
      males. After it was presented, we had related
      information generated from a data set that was
      available at the Kinsey Institute. Sure enough! The
      theory was verified, and a major study of 2,881
      homosexually oriented USA males has also replicated
      the basics in this respect (Paul et al, 2002). For
      the suicidality results that we had generated at the
      Kinsey Institute, see Table 7, here;
      http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/construction/4-gay-youth-suicide-worsening.htm

      Cheers!

      Pierre

      PS. Oh ya! That 37% is a population everage. It would
      be higher for Roman Catholic / mostly educated to
      grade 12 neighbourhoods. So let be conservative and
      say: 50% (I think Kinsey reported it to be 60%). This
      might mean 20% as an everage for male in some such
      neighbourhoods, and 80% in others. I lived in the
      latter!

      As for you not being sure if males who have erections
      and experienced orgasm/ejaculated "enjoyed" it, I
      really have no comments to make at this time. :-) But
      worry not about those Melanesian males and 100%
      homosexual practices. In about one generation, this is
      now history: killed by the effect of "The Homo Killing
      West", or what has been happening in North America
      over the last 75 years: heteronormativity, big time!
      Or else! For the effect on Melanesia, see:

      http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3778/is_200301/ai_n9208658

      What Ever Happened to Ritualized Homosexuality? Modern
      Sexual Subjects in Melanesia and Elsewhere
      Annual Review of Sex Research, 2003 by Knauft, Bruce

      God! I is certainly a damn good thing that at least
      some anthropologists have documented these evolved
      100% homosexual realities that are rapidly becoming
      extinct!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jay R. Feierman
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2006
        Pierre Tremblay: If you are familiar with Kinsey's 1948 work, you will remember that 37% of males reporting having sex to orgasm with another male after the age of 15 years, but that is an average. Furthermore, the male groupings reporting the most homo-sex were in two categories: educated from grades 9 to 12, and Roman Catholic! Well, I grew up in a place where both applied, as a rule.

        Jay R. Feierman: I believe the Kinsey question had to do with any sex to orgasm with another male, so many of these 37% of males could have done it once or twice out of experimentation. There are also assortative, same-sex play groups among adolescent males, as is evidenced by the various identified and named groups in high school, such as jocks, nerds, geeks, etc. I'm sure each country has unique names for the sub-groups of high school age adolescent males. Gay adolescents tend to play with one another both figuratively and literally, so your sample may not have been representative of adolescent males in general. Your peer group would have been a sub-group of the overall high school population. I do know from my own high school days that there was a particular subgroup of males, who were friends with each other. All of them came out as gay after high school. I'm sure their sexual behavior with each other in high school was different than the group of males who were on the football team. Summed up you may have a sampling error.

        Pierre Tremblay: I was also never condemned for enjoying homo-sex by Roman Catholic priests (n = about 20) when I confessed these 'sins'! In fact, enjoying homosex was not perceived as being any worse than telling a little lie!

        Jay R. Feierman: These priests were not following the Rule Book, as the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that homosexual sex is a Mortal sin. Also, your paper  http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/construction/4-gay-youth-suicide-worsening.htm, which reviewed the suicide data for gay male youth, is not surprising. Young gay males, like young schizophrenic males, are peripheral males who are marginalized in industrialized societies. They would be predicted to have higher than average suicide rates, which they do. I am not convinced by anything I've seen or that you have posted that there is a higher rate of homosexuality among schizophrenics than among the general population, if homosexuality is defined as having sexual and/or romantic feelings towards other males.
      • Pierre Tremblay
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2006
          Greeting Jay!

          --- "Jay R. Feierman" <jfeierman@...> wrote:

          > Pierre Tremblay: If you are familiar with Kinsey's 1948 work, you will remember that 37% of
          > males reporting having sex to orgasm with another male after the age of 15 years, but that is an
          > average. Furthermore, the male groupings reporting the most homo-sex were in two categories:
          > educated from grades 9 to 12, and Roman Catholic! Well, I grew up in a place where both applied,
          > as a rule.
          >
          > Jay R. Feierman: I believe the Kinsey question had to do with any sex to orgasm with another
          > male, so many of these 37% of males could have done it once or twice out of experimentation.

          *** More than a bit of heterosexism here, so it seems. I always hear this so-called
          "experimentation" when it involves homosexuality, but not for when males have sex with females.
          This is an aspect of what has been called compulsory heterosexuality where one's 'normal'
          heterosexual status is redeemed if you were apparently only "experimenting". This is a bit like:
          "Oh! That sex with a guy does not count because I was drunk! Or in prisons: "He only raped a man
          becasue women were not available. He is normal! He is not queer!"

          > There are also assortative, same-sex play groups among adolescent males, as is evidenced by the
          > various identified and named groups in high school, such as jocks, nerds, geeks, etc. I'm sure
          > each country has unique names for the sub-groups of high school age adolescent males. Gay
          > adolescents tend to play with one another both figuratively and literally, so your sample may
          > not have been representative of adolescent males in general. Your peer group would have been a
          > sub-group of the overall high school population.

          *** From where did you ever get the idea that we were gay? Or that I was describing a high school
          subgroup? I was describing a residential "geographic" area. Those also enjoying homo-sex were in
          the majority: about 80% of male in the community. Those who did not relate sexually with other
          males were in the small minority category.

          I do know from my own high school days that
          > there was a particular subgroup of males, who were friends with each other. All of them came out
          > as gay after high school. I'm sure their sexual behavior with each other in high school was
          > different than the group of males who were on the football team. Summed up you may have a
          > sampling error.

          **** Summed up, it seems like you have been on a misinterpretation trail maybe caused by a
          'vision' of what you think adolescent male homosexuality should be. For me, it was a major
          'cultural' shock when I ventured into gay communities and discovered what existed there and was
          deemed to be homosexuality. One of my first 'shock' was: "What? You have sex with guys you do NOT
          know?" But, of course, the majority of the sex happening in gay communities had nothing to do with
          anything "romantic" or "friendship" - in the sense of the associated male bonding that was
          intimately associated with the homosexuality I had experienced. I presume here you are familiar
          with cruising in parks, bathrooms, bars, etc, and the non-attachment kind oif sex that is the rule
          at the baths, for example.

          > Pierre Tremblay: I was also never condemned for enjoying homo-sex by Roman Catholic priests (n =
          > about 20) when I confessed these 'sins'! In fact, enjoying homosex was not perceived as being
          > any worse than telling a little lie!
          >
          > Jay R. Feierman: These priests were not following the Rule Book, as the official position of the
          > Roman Catholic Church is that homosexual sex is a Mortal sin.

          *** In my culture, the RC Church was an integral part of culture and, to this date, as much as I
          could never say "I am not French Canadian!" I also could not say "I am not RC!" for similar
          reasons. Anyway, she seem to be quite unfamiliar with what actually was practised in RC churches
          that was also heavily influence by culture. For example, the RC in Latin America has a different
          'flavour' than the RC in my culture, but there are similarities. Given what I read about the
          history of homosexuality in Mexico (super common), for example, I would guess that priest there
          were muvh like the priest in my very large RC parish - where we always had three priests, and
          three more would join them on Saturdays to hear confessions. I was intimately associated with the
          church and was the youngest to ever become an altar boy. My mother has done a great job teaching
          me latin starting in grade 2 and she also thought me to knit - that was a male lumberjack activity
          in my culture. They all knew how to knit.

          Also, your paper
          > http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/construction/4-gay-youth-suicide-worsening.htm, which
          > reviewed the suicide data for gay male youth, is not surprising. Young gay males, like young
          > schizophrenic males, are peripheral males who are marginalized in industrialized societies.

          *** that was a part of my culture shock when I ventured in gay comunities: what these gay
          identified males experienced was socially inflicted! No such abuse existed in my community on the
          basis of knowing or suspecting that a guy enjoyed or would enjoy having sex with a male. Even in
          the greater community - and I went to an elementary/junior high school that had about 900
          students, I only remember one male who was more like a "sissy" - but no one ever thought ill of
          him.

          They
          > would be predicted to have higher than average suicide rates, which they do.

          *** but interesting that the adolescent male attempted suicide incidence increased from about 2%
          around 1930 to what it is now: about 40% for GLB adolescents in Massachusetts in 2003, and that
          40% is for having attempted suicide in the past year!

          I am not convinced
          > by anything I've seen or that you have posted that there is a higher rate of homosexuality among
          > schizophrenics than among the general population, if homosexuality is defined as having sexual
          > and/or romantic feelings towards other males.

          *** Kind of sad that you are restricting the concept of "homosexuality" to associations with
          "romantic feeling".... that is even at odds with the majority of homosex happening in gay
          communities. No such emotions - romance - were associated with those I grew up with... but there
          was male bonding and the feeling that we were equals, as opposed to the traditional inferior
          status men have traditionally inflicted on the women they also desired to sexually penetrate. Come
          to think of it, heterosexual males most often have NOT desired to have sex with females for
          "romantic" reasons, and especially NOT for friendship/bonding reasons, either. I presume you would
          be quite familar with the history of female prostitution and the non-love/romance motivations
          associated with the males who used female prostitutes. Not all that long ago, all little western
          towns had one or more whorehouse for all those heterosexual males who apparently loved women... as
          proven by the fact that they were using women in such non-loving - 'you are just a non-person
          piece of meat' - ways. :-) But then women became unhappy with all this and, god forbid, they did
          manage to become "persons" legally in Canada around 1929. By the early 1980, married heterosexual
          males also lost their self-given legal right to rape their wives. Employers also lost their right
          to pay women less than men for work of equal value... etc. that are all, without, indicators that
          the ruling heterosexual males have historically loved women!

          Cheers!

          Pierre

          PS. Where did you ever get the idea that one's sexual orientation should be based on "romantic"
          anything? There are a hell of a lot of heterosexual males who masturbate to fantasies of raping
          women that I would say is intimately related to hatred, and a good number who have actually raped
          women. Does that mean that these men would not have a sexual orientation, or would not be deemed
          heterosexual, because their sexuality if not related to romantic feelings for women? The social
          construction of heterosexual men as individuals who love women is quite recent, but the historical
          evidence indicates that the opposite has been the rule, as Julienne might agree with fro reasons
          that she has given in a previous post.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Pierre Tremblay
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3, 2006
            Greetings!

            I would say that Christianity has a history of being quite "successful" and even "fanatical": e.g.
            the Crusades, the treatment of American Aboriginal people, including the use of residential
            schools until very recently... that were used in an attempt to wipe out the cutures/religions of
            the infidels! But, before that, the expression "The only good Injun is a dead Injun!" was quite
            common and even put into practice! Residential schools were a more modern version of the same
            thing.

            Also fanatical were the highly abusive laws against homosexual male sex activities that were
            exported to many countries by the British durng the days of the infamous "empire"... with the hope
            that others would become as abusive and fanatical as we were!

            The French, however, were not so fanatically obsessed about homosexuality and the French
            Revolution put an end to anti-homosexuality sodomy laws... with homosexual activity only again
            becoming criminalized in France when the Nazis invaded France in WW-2.

            Come to think of it, in the above respect, the American and the British were (have been) very much
            like the Nazis... that continued into the 60s in Britain, and into the 21rst century in the USA
            when the sodomy laws were 'killed' by the Supreme Court.

            Interestingly, some of the most fanatical abusers of homosexually oriented people in the UK,
            Australia, and North America have been those in the so-called "helping professions," and
            especially the 'professionals' called "psychiatrists" who certainly operated on the Nazi-like
            principle that homosexual males should NOT exist!

            It should be noted that the infamous often noted 'homosexual paradox' in Evolutionary Psychology -
            as based on the current level of 'understanding' manifested by these 'experts' (having at least
            one PhD) - is also that "homosexually oriented males should NOT exist"! But homosexually oriented
            males do exist... and this reality generally means that what is believed as related to evolution -
            that creates the so-called 'homosexual paradox' - is likely NOT "understanding", and is likely its
            opposite. :-)

            My feeling is that the 'experts' have been completely wrong about what is assumed to be male
            heterosexuality... and even female heterosexuality. And that all of this has been happening in
            cultures that have been fanatically enforcing heteronormativity or what some have called
            "compulsory heterosexuality"... where 'science' has been used to support the beliefs/desires of
            the fanatical ones... who, so it seems, have also been at 'war' against those defined to be
            schizophrenic as Dr. Feierman appears to have been hinting at...

            Cheers!

            Pierre

            --- Ligesh <myself@...> wrote:

            > This is the age old paradox very neatly solved by Moore's law. That something occurs in nature
            > does not mean that it is moral, or that it should be practiced. Why is Islam so successful?
            > Because it is perfectly tuned to the male psyche--the desire to kill other people, and that is
            > also why Muslims are so fanatical too. Islam tells people to do what the love to do best--kill
            > others. Please note that it is only KILLING that is natural, murder is still abhorrent in all
            > societies.
            >
            > This is very clearly demonstrated in the Bible in the contradiction between "Thou shalt not
            > Kill", with "Kill all heathen".

            <Snip>
          • Jay R. Feierman
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 6, 2006
              Ligesh: You haven't addressed the two points:

               a) Artists display behaviour that can be classified as schizophrenia-like. Artists are also a group who have above average fitness. This is an empirical finding, and I had posted the url to this particular study.

               b) Voices in the head--another schizophrenia-like symptom--can be highly adaptive. These people become the prophets, which is actually an high fitness position in the society.

              So how do you address the above two issues?

              Jay R. Feierman: I don't believe that "artists display behavior that can be classified as schizophrenic-like." I don't count answering psychological test questions as meaningful evidence. Artists are creative and people with schizophrenia are no more creative than individuals in the general population. Artists see symbolism in reality but symbolism is reality for persons with Schizophrenia. Artists are logical and individuals with Schizophrenia are not. When you use a term, such as "schizophrenia-like," it is not defined and can be interpreted very broadly. I know many artists and many persons with Schizophrenia and two very talented schizophrenic artists. However, my opinion is that artistic ability and Schizophrenia-like symptoms are not inter-related any more than by chance.

              For you to say that voices in the head can be highly adaptive only means to me that you do not have much experience with persons with Schizophrenia. I'm not sure that people who say that they are prophets hear voices. If they do, some may be in Manic Episodes and transiently hear voices, but voices in mania are very rare. Do you really think that Moses heard voices when he wrote the ten commandments or the Pople hears voices when he says that God talks to him? I've spoken to hundreds if not thousands of persons who have Schizophrenia about their voices. The voices are very bothersome, like a radio in their head commenting on their behavior and their thoughts and at times telling them what to do. You need to get out of your armchair and interact with some people with schizophrenia. If you did, you would not say what you are saying.