FAIRAVEN, BETTERAVEN

  • Warren Sarle
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2000
      > IN LIGHT OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, THE SCIENCE
      > OF MENTAL ABILITY IS EITHER SILLY OR POINTLESS
      > Book Review of Jensen on Intelligence-g-Factor
      >
      > Selmer Bringsjord
      > The Minds & Machines Laboratory
      > 8. Now, suppose that in my Lab we engineer an artificial agent whose
      > performance on RPM is flawless; call this agent 'R.'
      > Well, the supposition that R exists must be granted. After all, there
      > are two computer systems that come close to R, FAIRAVEN and BETTERAVEN
      > (Carpenter, Just & Shell 1990).
      > Carpenter, P., Just, M., & Shell, P. (1990) What One Intelligence Test
      > Measures: A Theoretical Account of the Processing in the Raven
      > Progressive Matrices Test. Psychological Review 97(3): 404-431.

      I find this hard to believe. OCR systems are far from flawless, and
      the sophistication of visual feature extraction required to do well
      on RPM is far higher than that required for OCR. Is anyone familiar
      with the article by Carpenter, Just & Shell (1990)? If so, I would
      appreciate their posting some information on how FAIRAVEN and BETTERAVEN
      work.

      --

      Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here
      saswss@... SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily