Re: [evol-psych] Evolutionary suicide

  • Martin Swain
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi George.
        Wouldn't the deleterious effect of the gene be nullified by the medical treatement? Isn't it the effect
      that's important, rather than the gene itself?

      Regards,

      Martin Swain

      ba7geor@... wrote:
      Would evolutionary suicide be included in the definition IF a society, focusing upon the general good, retained the genetically less likely to survive through advanced medicine.?
      If the propagation of deleterious genes is not countered by natural selection what is the future of the gene pool?

      George Bain

      Coordinator, Science Lecture Series
      3126 Gracefield Road, Apt. 402,
      Silver Spring, MD. 20904
      301-586-0130

    • Michael Maddux
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- ba7geor@... wrote:

        > Would evolutionary suicide be included in the definition IF a society,
        > focusing upon the general good, retained the genetically less likely to
        > survive
        > through advanced medicine.?
        > If the propagation of deleterious genes is not countered by natural
        > selection what is the future of the gene pool?
        >
        > George Bain

        I imagine that the gene pool will be just fine as long as advanced
        medicine hangs around as part of our environment - but maybe we'll evolve
        either health insurance cards as apendages, or the mental ability to
        understand the prescription drug benefit!

        Mike
      • Pierre Tremblay
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
          Hi George!

          It seems to me that, if we intervened with other life forms in such a way that all those born are prevented from dying before reproductive age, or even during their reproductive period...

          It would be more like putting an end to all predator/prey situations, and this may be very negative outcomes vis-a-vis the viability of species.

          As for humans, I remember well my very young days when women would say that they had so many children but that some had died from a number of causes at birth or soon after.

          These events have certainly been a part of our biological history - our evolution - that has been changing in dramatic ways only recently in the West and less dramatically in Third World countries. But the ideology that all children born should not die, except in old age, seems to dominate, and it likely has no precedent in our evolutionary history. [Note: the Vatican also seems to believe that all fertilized human eggs should not die - be terminated for whatever reason - but we have yet to interfere with the high attrition rate occurring soon after fertilization that
          is likely has been an important part of our evolutionary history.]

          I wonder if studies have been done to explore the possibility that our death preventing medical interventions may ultimately have highly negative effects for humans as a species.

          Cheers!

          Pierre