On campus: Evolution, part II

  • artemispub
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006

      On campus: Evolution, part II

      By Nathanael Blake

      Mar 1, 2006

      My last column was like a grenade thrown into the choir I’ve been preaching to. I received scads of responses (most quite civil) arguing that evangelical Christians most certainly should not make their peace with evolution.

      Many missives included arguments against evolution, and recommended reading. As always, I read and appreciated the letters, and being unable to respond to them all individually, decided to write another piece on the subject before returning to my regularly scheduled jeremiads.

      But I didn’t write last week’s column that I might debate the veracity of evolution with dozens of readers; getting on that carousel with just one person is time-consuming enough. Rather, my interest is in the sociology and psychology of the anti-evolution movement, which is mostly composed of evangelicals: why is there such vehement opposition to evolution in this particular subset of American Christians?

      My answer was, and remains, that the source is religious and not scientific – evangelicals generally not being much interested in scientific controversy. For instance, they don’t care a whit whether string theory is true, because they don’t think its veracity (or lack thereof) has anything to do with their faith.

      This doesn’t mean that the anti-evolutionists aren’t sincere in their belief that evolution is a scientific farce; they are. But they care about the issue because of its supposed antagonism toward their religion, and thus approach evolution as an adversary. And thus evolution has become far more important in the culture wars than it ought to be.

      Having traversed from that perspective, I think it worthwhile to continue to try explaining why I think it’s wrong and terribly self-destructive.

      Cont'd