Re: Anthropomorphising DNA

  • Jay R. Feierman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      Jay R. Feierman: I see myself as a kin-selected, transient DNA carrier, who is trying to enjoy some of life's benefits during my very transient time of existence, along with carrying out my responsibilities to the DNA that made me by being more helpful to my relatives and co-ethnics than to people in general to whom I also try to be helpful.

      David Ewing: Jay, I can't resist this one.  Responsibilities to your DNA?  Anthropomorphism!

      Jay R. Feierman: No, I don't relate to my DNA as though it was an individual. human. I respect it for the little twisted chemical that it is. I also have responsibilities to other non-human things in my life, such as my pet dog, my country, the earth and a few old family heirlooms that have been handed down over the generations. I like to think of myself as working for my DNA, as it gives meaning to my life. I know that is how my DNA made me. I see myself as my DNA's temporary caretaker. I took my responsibility very seriously to find the best woman possible with whom my DNA could combine and I took very good care of the resultant little human carriers until they were old enough to take care of themselves.Now, they have made even more carriers. So overall, I think I 've done a reasonably good job in carrying out my responsibilities as a transient DNA carrier.