Seasonality to sexuality?

  • Christopher A Robinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      Dear all,

      I have been reading some classical texts lately, and both Hesiod and Aristotle mention that there is a seasonality to sexuality. Specifically, they both say that males are more interested in sex in the winter and females in the summer. Is there any data to support this or a seasonality to sexuality in general?

      The only material that I know on the claim is some research by Tittmar who retrieved condoms from sewers and found a rough seasonality to sexuality, with it being higher over all in the fall. Of course, condom retrieval can't say if there is a sex difference.

      Christopher Robinson, PhD
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
    • Osmo Tammisalo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
        Dear All,
        This is an interesting question. You mentioned Tittmar's condom
        research, can you give us the exact reference?
        One way to investigate this would be counting the amounts of personal
        ads depending on the time of the year. I think this would be some what
        more appropriate method, since the amount of condoms in the sewer does
        not necessarily tell about variation in sexual drive. Amount of semen
        in the sewer would be more telling, perhaps...
        Cheers
        Oz