Psychological and physiological adaptation to human sperm competition

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Shackelford, T. K., Pound, N., & Goetz, A. T. (2005).
      Psychological and physiological adaptation to human sperm
      competition. Review of General Psychology, 9, 228-248.

      "Postcopulatory competition between males, in the form of sperm
      competition, is a widespread phenomenon in many animal species.
      The extent to which sperm competition has been an important
      selective pressure during human evolution remains controversial,
      however. We review critically the evidence that human males and
      females have psychological, behavioral, and physiological
      adaptations that evolved in response to selection pressures
      associated with sperm competition. We consider, using evidence
      from contemporary societies, whether sperm competition is likely
      to have been a significant adaptive problem for ancestral humans
      and examine the evidence suggesting that human males have
      physiological and psychological mechanisms that allow for
      “prudent” sperm allocation in response to variations in the risk
      of sperm competition."

      =========
      Ian Pitchford PhD CBiol MIBiol
      http://human-nature.com/ep/