Re: [evol-psych] The Rights of Animals

  • Gayle Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      > On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, George Parrish wrote:
      >
      >> .... We could begin talking about the rights of chickens if
      >> someone presented credible evidence that they also have the intellectual
      >> capacity to knowingly share our third universal value, reciprocity and a
      >> sense of responsibility.

      I don't think that reciprocity, responsibility, or rationality are
      _necessary_ conditions for rights. Perhaps they are sufficient conditions,
      but not _necessary_ ones. If they were _necessary_, then infants, severely
      retarded people, and Alzheimer's patients would not have rights, which they
      clearly do. So, some other argument would be needed here.

      Gayle Dean