Re: [evol-psych] Culture and achievement (ADHD)

  • Leif Ekblad
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Lynn:
      > Steven Hinshaw, Chair of the psychology department at UC Berkeley and a
      > leading researcher in ADHD, who ran
      > the summer camp for ADHD at UCB for years, and who also was at the head of
      > one of the sites, and one of the lead
      > scientists in the multi-site ADHD study, found from meticulous treatment
      > response data, that negative parental behaviors,
      > such as "punishment and discipline" as I believe you are describing here,
      > had a significant and negative association with outcome,

      That doesn't surprise me at all. It is my belief that authoritative discipline could be the primary reason for problematic behaviors in ADHD/AS/autism. These children simply has a different idea of parent-child interaction that builds a lot more on mutual agreements and telling them the exact reason why they cannot do this-and-that. If you tell me to do-this-and-that as an authoritative person, I'm sure I'd do just the opposite!

      > In the research going on in my own lab on cross cultural studies of
      > empathy-based guilt, empathy, and altruism,
      > we are finding some, but not many, significant differences between
      > cultures (or ethnicities, or races??, or where
      > did the individual or the individual's family of origin originally come
      > from?) in terms of altruism towards family, friends and strangers.

      I'd not expect you to find large differences here, because the big differences are within certain groups. You should really study altruism in groups of Aspies instead. It works very differently from the norm.

      You need to set up Aspie-only groups, of course, because single Aspie individuals in a clinical environment won't give you the results. They only emerge as Aspies gather in groups with others of the same kind.

      Leif Ekblad