Re: [evol-psych] LOST behaviour

  • Jay R. Feierman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2005
      I don't know the literature on human LOST behavior but I can tell you about
      a personal experience of LOST behavior. Many years ago I went deer hunting
      with two friends in the woods in central Pennsylvania. I was not from the
      area and was totally unfamiliar with the woods. I had never even seen a map
      of the area. The three of us separated and I walked about a mile or two
      into the woods. It then got very cloudy and I couldn't see the sun and I was
      disoriented as to which way I had walked into the woods. I obviously did not
      have a compass and GPS didn't exist back then. I had to make a decision to
      stay where I was and hope that someone would find me the next day or make a
      decision to start walking one way. I knew that if I started walking, I could
      also be walking deeper into the woods. It was getting darker and colder and
      I had no flashlight or matches or even a warm enough coat for the night. It
      was November. I decided to walk. Fortunately, I walked the right direction,
      found a road and got out of the woods. I never forgot that experience, as it
      could have ended very badly for me. So when I was faced with stay put or
      walk, I decided to walk. That may be a principle of what people do, as I
      knew if I did nothing, I would have to spend a dark, cold night alone in the
      woods. I exhibited behavior where there was a chance of a very good or very
      bad outcome, rather than opting for a moderately bad outcome and staying in
      the same location and hoping that I would be found the next day. I also had
      five rounds of 30 caliber, deer hunting ammunition with me and I had to
      evaluate the cost:benefit of firing a shot to tell people where I was versus
      conserving the ammunition. I didn't fire any shots.

      I've also been lost many times on horseback in the woods and just let the
      horse decide which way to go home. If a horse has been in a stable for any
      length of time, it virtually always knows how to get back to the stable,
      even if it is many hours away in the woods. That is an added benefit of the
      horse to humans.

      Jay R. Feierman