Re: [evol-psych] Pornography

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      > On Thursday 02 December 2004 10:44, Paul Okami wrote:

      Then how would you explain pornography that includes only single

      females (or males, for that matter)?  Playboy, Penthouse, and Hustler
      > > created vast empires built on this material.

      Steven D'Aprano
      > We human beings have an imagination. Seeing an
      attractive person we
      > would like to have sex with, we can imagine
      ourselves having sex with
      > them.

       RKS:
      The beginning of sexual arousal occurs in the presence of a suitable mate pretty well for all animals.  No imagination is required.  Some animals can be brought to sexual arousal in the presence of icons, photographs, smells, sounds and other indicators of a suitable mate.

      No doubt humans can use their imagination to work on this natural base, but the first instance is purely genetic and in common with other primates, mammals, and numerous other creatures.

      Imagination is most definitely utilised during masturbation in humans, but that need not always be the case.  Masturbation can proceed purely out of frustration, to relieve errant sexual arousal (common in youth) or to simply pleasure the self.  Monkeys commonly masturbate, to the delight of the viewing public (our local captive macaque colony can keep the public entertained for hours, though their act of self pleasure is brief - they then proceed to eat the spilled protein, an instinct now quiescent in my own innate cognitive background).

      Kind Regards
      Robert Karl Stonjek
    • Paul Okami
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
        Yes, but that is not the pleasure of observing others having sex. It's the
        pleasure of imagining ourselves having sex, a completely different animal.
        That was my point.

        Paul