Re: [evol-psych] Homophobia

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2004
      Michael Plagens

      I think it is helpful to observe how behaviour in other species, that from our human perspective appears to be homosexual, is adaptive.  For example, consider male bull frogs that are undersized and are therefore unlikely to attract a mate in the 'normal heterosexual' manner.  They behave as females and can approach closely alpha males that are calling for females because the males are  a bit 'confused'.   In so doing these small males have a slight chance of intercepting and mating with a female that has been attracted to the large male.

      Hostility towards male homosexuals by 'heterosexual' males may simply be a defence against cuckoldry.

      RKS:
      Experience would show that the Gay fellows don't pose an actual threat.  Indeed, hanging around with a gay man, then, would afford an opportunity for real cuckoldry by the heterosexual male, though his heterosexual conspecifics would give him a hard time.

      It is more likely that the 'chick magnet', the football hero or good-looking male that has managed to grow his nose hairs long enough to simulate a moustache, will have a few hangers-on who intend to try their luck with the girls that are attracted to the Alpha boy but do not rise to his standard.

      I wonder is the gay fellow, who likes to hang out with girls, does so because they attract good looking boys?

      I think that the mating game, in modern humans, is a little too complex to generalise.

      Having missed out on the experience of a first wife (similar age, experience and family ambitions, poor and facing the brave new world etc) there is still time enough for me to skip the first and go straight on to the second wife (far to young; the age of one's daughter or one's friend's daughters; inspires one to fool one's self about one's own youth; looks upon you partly as father/mother figure etc).

      Kind Regards
      Robert Karl Stonjek
    • Michael Plagens
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
        Robert,

        I don't think it is necessary for either the homosexual male or his homophobic idol to be aware of the evolutionary underpinnings nudging their actions one way or another.
        Note the number of gay couples raising children ... an obvious sign that their threat to some hetero-male was real enough.  Also, if there is any genetic basis for homosexuality one would predict that it provides some positive reproductive advantage.  For a low-ranking male, even a tiny advantage is better than none.  In the case of the frogs, for example, only a very small percentage of the small males succeed in their strategy, but enough to keep the genetic instructions for this alternative strategy represented in the population.

        Mike Plagens