Orrorin tugenensis Femur

  • Mikey Brass
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      Typical journalist headline:
      Chimp-sized hominid walked upright on two legs six million years ago

      News piece url:
      http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-09/ps-chw090204.php

      ===========
      Mikey Brass
      MA in Archaeology student
      "The Antiquity of Man" http://www.antiquityofman.com
      Book: "The Antiquity of Man: Artifactual, fossil and gene records explored"

      - "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"
      (Albert Einstein)
    • artemistroy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        This specimen suggests that Homo did not evolve from a quadrupedal,
        knuckle-walking ancestor but, rather, one more like the Eurasian,
        semi-aquatic Oreopithecus bambolii, located in Tuscany, Italy.

        Artemis

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Mikey Brass
        <mike@a...> wrote:
        > Typical journalist headline:
        > Chimp-sized hominid walked upright on two legs six million years ago
        >
        > News piece url:
        > http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-09/ps-chw090204.php
        >

        > ===========
        > Mikey Brass
        > MA in Archaeology student
        > "The Antiquity of Man" http://www.antiquityofman.com
        > Book: "The Antiquity of Man: Artifactual, fossil and gene records
        explored"

        > - "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
        would it?"
        > (Albert Einstein)
      • Mikey Brass
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
          Friday, September 3, 2004, 6:19:22 AM, artemistroy wrote:

          > This specimen suggests that Homo did not evolve from a quadrupedal,
          > knuckle-walking ancestor

          A few things to note:

          There is still debate over whether the LCA was knuckle-walking and a
          quadruped. An alternative arguement is the knuckle-walking of chimps
          and gorillas is parallel evolution, and that the LCA was a habitual
          biped.

          Moreover, OT may simply have been a side branch of early hominins
          which died off.