Re: Male Songbird Responds to Mate Only When He's the Third Whe

  • Jeremy Bowman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      MF Badger wrote:

      > the so-called "monogamous"
      > zebra finch female may not be
      > so monogamous after all, and
      > if he can get another mail to
      > assist in the rearing of his
      > offspring, well, there you go.
      > This sort of extra-pair
      > business is not uncommon in
      > so -called "monogamous" bird
      > species.

      -- As I recall, it is UNIVERSAL among monogamous species. So we'll have to
      lower our expectations of how strict is the "fidelity" that "monogamy"
      involves, or else stop using the word 'monogamy' altogether.

      The latter is hardly an option, as it continues to serve a useful purpose
      in distinguishing mating behaviour.

      It raises the interesting question of why our expectations were so high in
      the first place.

      Jeremy Bowman

      Get 100 Free Mapping Credits from IOL Mapping! All new site and new
      features. Log on for your Free Credits! maps.IOL.ie