Re: [evol-psych] Lamarckian evolution

  • Sergio Navega
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2004
      Dear Hilary,

      Perhaps these links can help you a bit:

      Are retrogenes changing Darwin's natural selection paradigm?

      Review of "Lamarck's Signature"

      I'm not a biologist, thus I cannot endorse any of what is exposed
      on this matter.

      Regards,
      Sergio Navega
      Intelliwise Research

      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2004
        On 06/05/2004, at 5:44 PM, Hilary Fisher" <h.fisher@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear list-members,
        >
        > I have a vague recollection of suggestions made in the last couple of
        > years
        > of a newly-discovered Lamarckian element to biological evolution.
        >
        > If any members could point me in the direction of where I could find a
        > summary of the findings on the point, it would be most appreciated.

        In addition to Herb Gintis' suggestions, you are probably thinking of
        Ted Steele's book _Lamarck's Signature_
        <http://home.wxs.nl/~gkorthof/kortho39.htm>. Steele and his
        collaborators think that if mutations in the body (somatic
        hypermutations in the immune system) can be retrovirally inserted into
        gamete cells, that this is a kind of Lamarckian acquired immunity.

        The problem is that nobody thinks Weismann's Barrier is so absolute (as
        the Jablonka and Lamb refs Gintis cited make clear) as it was, say, in
        1940 - the key term here is "epigenetic inheritance" - and Steele's
        process, which has not yet been proven out, does not break the Central
        Dogma either, so it is not exactly Lamarckism, either as Lamarck
        himself proposed it, or as others (like Darwin) proposed it (use and
        disuse). It is, in the end, merely Darwinism at another level (i.e., th
        eimmunological).

        --
        Dr John S Wilkins
        Head, Communication Services
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2004
          i am unware of any specific cases where epigenetic changes are are
          transmitted via the germline to the next generation. imprinting
          does not count since the expression of a single gene changes
          depending on the transmitter. most epigentic changes are stable
          across cell lineages, not generations of organisms. there is some
          evidence that this happens based on epidemiological stuides in
          populations that suffered famines, but i don't think it's well
          known how wide spread this 'lamarckian' type of transmission is.