Re: [evol-psych] Re: Drugs and Race (was Discomfort of Strangers)

  • Marek Kohn
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 2:35 AM
      Fred Weizmann wrote:

      >Don't forget that 'black" (or African-American if you prefer) is not defined
      >in the same way in the US as it is in the UK. Genetically, most US blacks
      >would come from "mixed backgrounds". (Culturally and sociologically, of
      >course, it is a different story.)
      >
      >Fredric Weizmann

      The respondents in this survey defined their ethnicity themselves.
      'Black' Britons are mostly of Afro-Caribbean descent. I don't know
      whether systematic surveys have been done, but I would surmise that
      their lineages contain European elements arising for much the same
      reasons as those present in formerly enslaved populations on the
      American mainland, and at similar levels. In Britain 'ethnicity' is
      conventionally, and I believe legally, defined in terms of shared
      culture and traditions. European genetic admixture would not in itself
      therefore imply 'mixed' ethnic identity. People will define themselves
      as being of 'mixed' descent if their parents clearly come from different
      ethnic backgrounds, or if they are aware of other different lineages in
      their recent ancestry.

      (How others define them is a different matter, though. My son evidently
      caused offence when, talking to a boy he met on holiday, he compared him
      to the England football goalkeeper David James. 'I'm white and David
      James is black' said the boy, with firm emphasis on 'white' and 'black'.
      My son hadn't noticed any African phenotypic traces in the player, but
      evidently in other quarters of this country the 'one-drop rule' lives on.)

      Anyway, the point was that this finding runs counter to the familiar
      scientific-racist argument that 'racial' traits will be proportionate to
      ancestry - that African-American IQ scores are higher than African ones
      because of European genetic admixture, and so on. If 'mixed' descent is
      associated with higher levels of drug use than are found in any of the
      groups that might have contributed to the mixtures, we are looking at
      something that arises from a cultural situation, not a genotype.

      Marek

      www.marekkohn.tk