Re: [evol-psych] Language - help pls

  • Diggitt Mclaughlin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
      You might also find useful Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point."� While the book begins and ends as a study of how we influence each other, he also covers the development of communication, symbolic and otherwise.� It's not a long book and is fun to read and understand and, best of all, has terrific references.
      Diggitt McLaughlin

    • Clarence C. Gravlee
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
        The following target article in press at Behavioral and Brain Sciences may
        be of interest:

        Falk, Dean. (in press) Prelinguistic evolution in early hominins: Whence
        Motherese? Behavioral and Brain Sciences

        http://www.bbsonline.org/Preprints/Falk/Falk.pdf

        Regards,

        Clarence Gravlee

        Clarence C. Gravlee, Ph.D.
        Assistant Professor
        Department of Anthropology
        Florida State University
        Tallahassee, FL 32306-7772
        (850) 644-4754
        (850) 645-0032 FAX
        cgravlee@...
        http://lance.qualquant.net/
      • John McCrone
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
          A book chapter about language evolution can be found at:
          http://www.btinternet.com/~neuronaut/webtwo_features_apethatspoke.htm

          But you will find a ton of speculation about once you start looking. Nothing
          mentioned so far, apart from Philip Lieberman, would be that helpful to you
          though.

          The point about beaver dams and birds nest is indeed a good one for those
          tend to read too much into the manufacture of handaxes. But then equally,
          somewhere along the line our species seems to have lost this instinctive
          behaviour if it was just instinctive.

          Definite evidence for trading of axes, or their materials, would be
          something else of course.

          Cheers
          from John McCrone

          check out my consciousness web site
          http://www.btinternet.com/~neuronaut/
          neuroscience, human evolution, Libet's half second, Vygotsky and more...