Desirability of Individuals with Children

  • Christopher A Robinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
      Dear all,

      I was reading that in many primate species, males prefer a partner who
      has some experience raising children. This makes me wonder if there is
      human data on the relative desirability as a mate of an individual who
      already has children. I had assumed that it would be lower than one
      without, but I am looking for data. Also, is there a sex difference in
      this regard?

      Christopher Robinson
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      www.geocities.com/jinxcar

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Nigel Barber
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
        Christopher,

        It appears that having children is something of a
        negative in respect to marriage prospects and much
        more so for women than men. This conclusion was drawn
        by Leslie Buckle in her research concerning remarriage
        following divorce. Women with children from a
        previous marriage find it very hard to remarry but men
        do not (possibly reflecting costodial arrangements).
        Sorry to take so long in answering this.

        Beckle, L., et al. (1996). Marriage as a reproductive
        contract. Ethology and Sociobiology, 17, 363-377.

        Nigel Barber
        --- Christopher A Robinson <JinxCAR@...> wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > I was reading that in many primate species, males
        > prefer a partner who
        > has some experience raising children. This makes me
        > wonder if there is
        > human data on the relative desirability as a mate of
        > an individual who
        > already has children. I had assumed that it would be
        > lower than one
        > without, but I am looking for data. Also, is there a
        > sex difference in
        > this regard?
        >
        > Christopher Robinson
        > University of Alabama at Birmingham
        > www.geocities.com/jinxcar
      • Quinlan, Robert J.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
          Borgerhoff Mulder (1988) found that women with children yielded lower brideprice among the Kipsigis and were more likely to be beaten by husbands than werer women without children.

          Borgerhoff Mulder, M. (1988). Kipsigis bridewealth payments. In L.L. Betzig, M. Borgerhoff Mulder and P.W. Turke, eds. Human Reproductive Behaviour. University of Cambridge Press, Cambridge, pp. 65-82.