Re: [evol-psych] How the brain forgets

  • DEBORAH LINDLEY
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2002
      I'm not a neurologist, psychiatrist, endocrinologist, etc., but it seems that two relevant topics for investigation, that could have important medical implications for this new data, include:
      1) interactions (if any) between PP1 and hormone levels in menopausal women, and,
      2) interactions (if any) between PP1 and neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, melatonin, or other brain chemicals implicated in depression and age-related insomnia.
      Is anyone aware of such work in progress?
      _______________________________________
      Deborah Lindley, Wildlife Ecologist
      Land Management Division
      Washington Dept.of Natural Resources
      P. O. Box 47014
      Olympia, Washington 98504-7014
      (360) 902-1374 <deborah.lindley@...>
      _______________________________________

      >>> "Ian Pitchford" <ian.pitchford@...> 08/29/02 05:56 a >>>
      BBC News Online
      Thursday, 29 August, 2002, 10:48 GMT 11:48 UK
      How the brain forgets

      Scientists have found a molecule that may be to blame for loss of memory as we
      get older.

      It raises the tempting prospect of new therapies to restore memory.

      The enzyme helps the brain delete unwanted information.

      But a team from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich believe it
      may become too active as we get older.

      The researchers carried out tests on mice that showed those animals with low
      levels of the enzyme, called protein phosphatase-1 (PP1), were less likely to
      forget what they had learned.

      It appears that PP1 actively suppresses memories in mice, both during and after
      a learning exercise.

      And as the mice get older, the level of PP1 increases.

      When the scientists blocked the action of PP1 the mice recovered their full
      learning and memory abilities.

      Full text
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2222871.stm