Toe-breaker or epoch-maker?

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      Toe-breaker or epoch-maker?
      John R. G. Turner
       THE STRUCTURE OF EVOLUTIONARY THEORY
      By Stephen Jay Gould
      Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, £27.50, pp.1433, ISBN:0674006135

      I HAVE LANDED: THE END OF A BEGINNING IN EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY
      by Stephen Jay Gould
      Cape, £17.99, pp. 418, ISBN 0224062999

      One of James Thurber's stories tells of a national hero, a previously unknown
      aerial pioneer, who opens his press conference on return from the first
      non-stop circumnavigation of the globe with 'Youse guys can tell the cockeyed
      world dat I put it over on Lindbergh, see?' Gould's claim is that he has done
      the same for Charles Darwin: that he (along with two other 'musketeers', Niles
      Eldredge and Elizabeth Vrba) has revised Darwin's theory of evolution so
      radically as effectively to replace it. The Structure of Evolutionary Theory,
      at a metatarsal-busting 1,400 pages, is his bid to validate that very
      substantial boast. He makes a good job of it.

      Full text
      http://www.spectator.co.uk/bookreview.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2002-06-29&id=1046