apple runs on satanism??

  • Bjoern Brembs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28 11:58 AM
      I almost died when I read this this morning. It
      features evolution, computers and satanism. It is
      absolutely hilarious!

      http://objectiveministries.tripod.com/propaganda.html

      Bjoern Brembs
      http://brembs.net
      Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
      The University of Texas-Houston Medical School
    • Steven D'Aprano
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28 8:36 PM
        On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 04:58, Bjoern Brembs wrote:

        > I almost died when I read this this morning. It
        > features evolution, computers and satanism. It is
        > absolutely hilarious!
        >
        > http://objectiveministries.tripod.com/propaganda.html

        This is, as you say, absolutely hilarious. I have heard rumours that it
        is actually a parody site. If so, then the authors have slipped in an
        absolutely brilliant piece of mis-direction: one of the supposed
        authors (found on http://objectiveministries.tripod.com/members.html)
        has a home page that criticises another site that parodies
        Fundamentalist Christians.

        If this is genuine, then it is scary how nonsensical these
        Fundamentalists are. And if it is a parody, then it is an incredibly
        well done one.

        Can anyone confirm or deny that Objective Ministries is an actual
        Christian organisation?

        --
        Steven D'Aprano
      • Dave Alexander
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29 5:27 AM
          I cannot state for sure that the ObjectiveMinistries site is not parody, but
          I am convinced that it is not. I chased down many of the links to other
          sites, and they were, on the whole, equally far out. Thus for OM to be a
          parody, there would have to be a plethora of linked parody sites, which I
          find hard to believe; who in their right mind would go to such great lengths.
          However, it is not so far beyond belief that avid a net of creationists
          would indeed go to such lengths.

          Dave Alexander
          Independent Researcher
        • Irwin Silverman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29 12:11 PM
            On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

            > > http://objectiveministries.tripod.com/propaganda.html

            > If this is genuine, then it is scary how nonsensical these
            > Fundamentalists are. And if it is a parody, then it is an incredibly
            > well done one.

            I was in doubt myself, until I came the comment about notoriously
            poor spelling on the part of pagans.
          • Matt Watson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
              I tend to think objective ministries is a joke. At the bottom of the page it
              says something along the lines of, support christanity by visiting one of
              our christian business links. This link was to www. lustpleasure. com. I'm
              no expert on christianity, but this doesn't sound too christian.

              Cheers
              Matt Watson

            • Todd Stark
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
                Matt Watson writes:
                <<<I tend to think objective ministries is a joke. At the bottom of the page it
                says something along the lines of, support christanity by visiting one of
                our christian business links. This link was to www. lustpleasure. com. I'm
                no expert on christianity, but this doesn't sound too christian.>>>

                Hi Matt,

                It's not "Christianity" in general that is represented here, it is a very
                specific strain of conservative Biblical Christian thinking (or perhaps
                "anti-thinking") that is very powerful, the finely tuned memetic result of
                centuries of selection, and you underestimate its power to activate our
                inference systems if you think this has to be a joke just because it is full
                of wildly implausible claims.

                It "could be" a parody of course, since it sounds so silly to those unused to
                this worldview. However, the fact that every single one of the links is
                serious and consistent with Biblical Christianity makes the parody
                alternative rather unlikely. Also, I've met people who think exactly this
                way.

                Suggestion for empirical followup: Click on http://www.lustpleasure.com/

                Spoiler: discover what the Bible has to say about adultery and lusting after
                women in general; loosely and cleverly patterned after the look and feel of a
                porno site.

                Be afraid ... be very afraid ...

                kind regards,

                Todd